Fert and Lighting Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aclark

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a medium (i suppose) planted low tech tank, but I'm not getting a ton of growth and I'd like to work on that. Tank specs below.

Black Diamond substrate
Finnex Stingray 48"
Dynamite diy root tabs
Jungle Val
Corkscrew Val
Reg/Bronze Crypts
Ludwigia sp Rubins
Bacopa monnieri
Ludwigia suffruticosa

1. On top of the root tabs, what should I be dosing into the water column? I know I can't dose excel because of the Vals, but are there any good liquid ferts that would help with growth? The Vals have gotten pretty tall and I've seen a few new runners. The crypts bounced back from some melt, and I do have some slow growth on the others, but none are really "filling in".

2. Is the Stingray going to give me enough light for the low tech setup? I'm thinking the lack of growth currently isn't a light problem, but a fert problem, hence question #1. I have been looking into the Planted+ 24/7, but if the ferts help then there's no need for more $$$.

3. Is this BBA? Its on quite a few of the plants, and I don't really mind it since its not overtaking them. I just changed my timer on the light from 8am-8pm down to 2 cycles (8-10a & 2-8p). Figured dropping to 8h down from 12h might help a bit.

That a 75 gal? Looks as though the lighting is sufficient. That algae looks to be flow related. What's on there for water movement? Adding liquid ferts to the water column would.only help growth. Pps pro for green leaf aquatics or flourish line from seachem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes it's a 75 gallon. Sorry thought I listed that. I have 2x Marineland Magnum 350s. One is coming out of that DIY spraybar you see in the pic and the 2nd is coming out of a piece of tubing on the top right. You can kind of see it in the corner of the pic. Might add the diffuser back on and/or make another spraybar for it. However that black hairy stuff in on the corkscrew vals that are right in front of the spraybar.

Here's a quick video so you can see there's flow around most the plants. Also at the end you can see the 2nd discharge for the filter. Don't mind my son singing in the middle it was better than his TV show in the BG.

https://youtu.be/49WC7Wnbm48

Back
Top Bottom