Fertilizers and Plant Suggsstions for 33 Breeder Planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi,
I have a 33 breeder low light planted. I plan on upgrading the light soon right now it's a 36" 30 watt lamp, a fluorescent made by Perfecto Manufacturing. I don't know the Kelvin. It has a purple cast to it. It's a one inch fluorite substrate and running three filters. Currently I have corkscrew val, which isn't doing well, Anubias nana, covered in algae and tied to my wood, and five anarchis stems. There are some fakes in there to provide cover but they are quite ugly and I'm pulling the worst of them out now. What do you guys suggest for plants and fertilizers? This is my dream-
I'll add current images ASAP of my tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How tall is your tank? Determining the lighting will dictate your options. Also if you'll be going with pressurized CO2 injection. Your dream tank is certainly nice to be inspired to. It's definitely a moderate to high light tank with CO2 and a comprehensive fertilizer dosing regimen. Otherwise known as a "high tech planted tank."

For ferts, I'd start with researching two popular dosing methods up to challenge of your goal, EI (estimative index) versus PPS-Pro.

GLA (green leaf aquariums) is where i buy my dry ferts for PPS-Pro.

Take a look at tropica's website. They have aquascape layouts complete with photos, diagrams, and plant species names. It's a good resource to learn.

Last edited:
17" and no co2

You'll need more substrate, you can cap the flourite with sand or just add more flourite or Eco complete. 3" min is recommended.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay, just PFS is fine?

I'd get some eco complete or floramax at the very least. Get it to at least 3" in front as Brookster mentioned. Maybe 5" in back to create slopes for added depth and dimension to the scape.

It's better to invest in a decent substrate now to avoid the headache of changing it later anyways. The sand will just work it's way under or mix with the flourite. I think that'll look unappealing. Plus, EC has a high CEC for absorbing nutrients -- making the substrate more nutrient over time. Sand remains inert. I'm just advising this now because down the road you might want to achieve something similar to Amano's scape in that magazine. Just my take on it.

What light you upgrading to? Once you increase your lighting, CO2 will be your best friend. At the very least, glut (liquid carbon) supplementation.

Okay, I'll pick up some Eco complete. I just pull all the plants and fish and put it in I assume over the fluorite? It is dark in color correct? I don't want to invest in CO2, I'm only a high schooler! I can do fertilizers though.

Back
Top Bottom