Ferts for 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is for my new 55 gallon :

Eco omplete 60 lbs
Will be doing DYI CO2
130 Watts CF lighting

Here are the ferts that I think need to be ordered (GregWatson.com)

Potassium Sulfate 1 lb.
Potassium Nitrate 1 lb.
Mono Potassium Phosphate 1 lb.
CSM+B Plantex 1 lb

Do I need anything else ? How do I determine how much (quantity) dosing is needed?

It lookslike you have a good handle on it. You may want to order 2 pounds of potassium sulfate as that one goes much quicker than the others. Since you will have a medium light tank you will need to play with the ferts some to get the dosing plan that works for you.

DIY CO2 can be difficult on that size tank, pressurized will be a much better way to go.

Good luck. Looking forward to pictures.

I second the two lbs of potassium sulfate....you'll go through it quickly.

There are several dosing calculators around, I can tell you what I do but I weigh all my ferts out with a metric scale at work, so everything is in grams and milliliters. check out Chuck Gadd's online calculator:
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/articles.htm
to get started. Take a stab at it and then post your results here for review!

Here is what I think should be my dosing plan , based on days : (based on research from other threads)

M-W-F
+/- 1/2 tsp KN03
+/- 1/8 (10ml) Trace Elements

TU-TH-SA
+/- 1/8 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/8 tsp K2S04 3x a week

SUNDAY
50% weekly water change

Looks good ?

Generally it's best to dose you first set of macros on the same day as you waterchange, usally right after you finish the waterchange. This decreases the chances that any of the nutrients will bottom out as a result of the waterchange.

I agree with Joy (when don't I?) that you should dose the Macros right after the water change. I would also dose all the Macros on the same day.

If that is your plan, then I would purchase 2 lbs of KNO3 for sure. You will not need the extra pound of K2SO4 with that setup.

The dosing of KNO3 all depends on your fish load. If you find that you don't need to dose as much KNO3, then you will have to up the dosing of K2SO4 to makeup for the loss of K that you dose with KNO3.

Back
Top Bottom