Ferts for large planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruadh

Aquarium Advice Activist
How much trouble are you folks down in the States having getting ferts in large relativly quantities for you planted tanks.

I'm having one heck of a time getting KNO3 in anything but 2 kg (5lb)pails and that costs as much as a 25 kg (55lb) bag.

I understand the caution and all, but do they really think that stopping us from buying bags of ferts is going to stop someone who's bent enough to want to build a bomb?? It's not even the right stuff for cryin out load.

Well, kno3 can be used for bombs I think, so I believe it's banned for much of europe. I'm not sure how large your tank is, but it seems like either your going overboard on kno3 or you have a huge tank. I bought mine from aquariumfertilizers.com, but otherwise for kno3 I'd get mine in spectracide stump remover. I'd imagine you could find some at a farming supply store in large quantities.

My tank is 175 gl.
Nope, can't buy it at farm supply unless you have a permit, as in "are you a farmer?" And like I said, I have to pay almost as much for 5 pounds as for 50 pound bag if I could get it. Doesn't make sense to me.
Take names if you have to just like rat poison.
I know you can use it, but if a person is that bent, they're going to get the stuff.

That's my idea on gun control... If you take away peoples' ability to defend themselves, the bad guys will still get their guns from somewhere else.

I'm not sure what the requirement for being a "farmer" but if its not that tough, maybe getting a permit is the way to go? Sorry I can't help more. :(

whats your location? smaller supply of things always tend to be a lot more then buying in bulk. 5 pounds is a lot of kno3 would last you a really long time.

That's my idea on gun control... If you take away peoples' ability to defend themselves, the bad guys will still get their guns from somewhere else.

I'm not sure what the requirement for being a "farmer" but if its not that tough, maybe getting a permit is the way to go? Sorry I can't help more. :(

I appreciate it Danny, thankx.
I'm just wondering how much trouble you guys have fertilizing your tanks.

whats your location? smaller supply of things always tend to be a lot more then buying in bulk. 5 pounds is a lot of kno3 would last you a really long time.

I'm in Edmonton, Canada.
I use 4-6 table spoons a week, EI method, so it doesn't take all that long to use it up.
If it takes two years to use up a bag, I'm still happier than paying the same amount for a volume that will only last a couple of months.

i bought at a local hydroponics store 1 lb. for $ 3.99 seemed cheap to me.

i bought a local hydroponics store 1 lb. for $ 3.99 seemed cheap to me.

It's not cheap here, even though it's made about 15 miles from here.
The only place that carries it here in small quantities wants about $20 for about 5 lbs. I finally found some at $80 for 55 lbs.

after shipping and handling $20 for 5lbs is only a couple dollars more than what i've found.

I bought my KNO3 from All seasons garden center (a hydroponics place) down by Old Strathcona. That was like 3-5 years ago. They only have the pre-mixed liquid stuff on the shelf, but I talk to the guy & they sold me a 1/2 liter tub for a buck or 2. I still have 1/2 of that left so no need to look yet.

Back
Top Bottom