Ferts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Promisedsin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have 2 tanks even though one isn't listed. I have the 10 gallon with a varity of plants in it. The 10 gallon currently has two 15watt CFLs 6500k rating. And the 4 gallon has a val and a random sword in it with a finnex power saving blue/white 26 watt, 30,000/10,000k rating. I currently dose with florish excel and I don't really want to get into co2. I was wondering what ferts, if any, I should use with or inplace of the excel. Thank you :D

The 30k/10k light is almost an actinic bulb. There's too much blue in its spectrum, meaning it's not ideal for plants. Go for 6000k-7000k as they have more red.

Go with Seachem's line of ferts. You should use Nitrogen, Iron, and potassium. Coupled with Seachem Complete for micro nutrients. You can also use phosphorous but it's not necessary and becomes evil if you over dose even a little as algae loves this junk.

Checking out Seachem Flourish...

Seachem. Flourish

The highest ingredient is Chlorine?! Maybe this is a stupid question, but isn't that bad? Assuming it's not bad, will my dechlor remove it?

Honestly, 10 gallons is really too small to be concerned with dosing dry ferts. Stick to the liquid nutrient supplements or simple root tabs I think.
big or small dry is the way to go. with the dry ferts you use distilled water and make your own liquid at a fraction of the cost.

if the plants are going fine and you are not having problems i wouldnt even bother with anything right now.

big or small dry is the way to go. with the dry ferts you use distilled water and make your own liquid at a fraction of the cost.

if the plants are going fine and you are not having problems i wouldnt even bother with anything right now.

Not dosing is kind of what I was getting at, but I didn't really make that clear. Haha. 10g is such a small water volume that I don't know if ferts would be worth the effort.

flourish excel takes the place of co2 injection. you might not even need to dose that. depends if you get algae with the amount of light you have over the tank. i would just use some root tabs and frequent water changes as a starting point. you can also decrease the hours that the light is on to help balance out your tank.

Back
Top Bottom