Festae Breeding.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LayzorBeams

Aquarium Advice FINatic
75 gallon tank. Male festae, female Festae. 7" and 5.5" long respectively. Hopefully upgraded to a 125 when they need it. Which will be a bit, as they grow slow.

They seem to be interested in breeding? The female gets really black bars, like those wonderful pictures you find online about breeding Festae. But ive heard that they also could be from other factors like stress.

Female also "dances" around next to the male. I think its know as "shimmering?" but yeah. Little twitches when they swim by each other. Is this breeding behavior?

They eat well, they are a bit chubby lol. Clean water, although it might be a bit cool as it only has one heater at the mome.

Cool water changes, i add in 10-12 gallons of colder-ish water.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

They will most likely be showing an interest in each other.This can go on for quite some time.Your going to need a 150 minimum I'd say for a breeding pair.Even then you might want to keep a divider handy just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They will most likely be showing an interest in each other.This can go on for quite some time.Your going to need a 150 minimum I'd say for a breeding pair.Even then you might want to keep a divider handy just in case.

Ok!

Yes, bigger tank hopefully coming soon... If i cant get one and they dont breed at all, i might just keep the female.

Ok!

Yes, bigger tank hopefully coming soon... If i cant get one and they dont breed at all, i might just keep the female.

He means you need a 150 yesterday, not "soon". These are hyper aggressive fish, and apparently you're not quite learning that yet based on your other thread. I wouldn't even think about breeding these in a 75. Period. A divider will give them each 2 feet in length, 38 gallons. And if you don't divide in time, one is going to end up dead if they spawn...

Glad to see you had patience and stuck it out with the Texas....wonder what species will end up in this tank next....geesh

He means you need a 150 yesterday, not "soon". These are hyper aggressive fish, and apparently you're not quite learning that yet based on your other thread. I wouldn't even think about breeding these in a 75. Period. A divider will give them each 2 feet in length, 38 gallons. And if you don't divide in time, one is going to end up dead if they spawn...

Glad to see you had patience and stuck it out with the Texas....wonder what species will end up in this tank next....geesh

Wow ok. Thanks...

The only reason i... Man. Wow.

You are actually... Im out. Bye.

Wow ok. Thanks...

The only reason i... Man. Wow.

You are actually... Im out. Bye.

Honest? Yes.
Realistic? Yes.

Call me what ever you want, i call it as it is.

I dunno man.. I'd usually stay out but those things get humongous.. and they're nutzo.. 75 doesn't seem fair.. can't get offended though.. just think, if you added a zero to the end of your original tank size?? you'd be a rock star!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've bred festae many times and on two occasions in a 6ft tank the male was killed so in a 75g those fish are doomed. I don't know you keep posting these ridiculous questions after you have these fish rather than before...

That sized tank can simply support a single large central and nothing more.

Last edited:
I've bred festae many times and on two occasions in a 6ft tank the male was killed so in a 75g those fish are doomed. I don't know you keep posting these ridiculous questions after you have these fish rather than before...

That sized tank can simply support a single large central and nothing more.

I'd say a medium sized Central to be honest.

I dunno man.. I'd usually stay out but those things get humongous.. and they're nutzo.. 75 doesn't seem fair.. can't get offended though.. just think, if you added a zero to the end of your original tank size?? you'd be a rock star!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Im back, not that anyone would give.

Thanks for this somewhat considerate response.

The reason i seem a bit pissy?

I asked how to breed them. Not how to keep them. I know what i need to do in respect to that.

The fish are fine, by the way. They don't fight. They fought in the beginning. And yeah, they arent grown yet. I know.

And please. There is a difference between constructive and annoying criticism.

And you are the people who complain when it gets off topic... Huh.

I asked how to breed them. Not how to keep them. I know what i need to do in respect to that.

The fish are fine, by the way. They don't fight. They fought in the beginning. And yeah, they arent grown yet. I know.

Hey this attitude will get you nowhere. Anyway..

Per your post, how to keep them and how to breed them go hand in hand. Multiple experts have provided accounts of murdered mates, you need a bigger tank in order to breed these guys. That should be order of business #1. If it can't be achieved you are simply not ready to attempt it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This goes hand in hand. How to breed them is also dependent on their environment. So yes a much larger tank is necessary to breed them.

You continually ask these ridiculous questions along with overstocking your tiny tank with inappropriate fish and then have the audacity to complain when you don't get the answer your looking for and commenting that our advice is "annoying". Maybe it's time to get a pet rock instead of allowing living creatures to be attacked and potentially killed...

You really should take a minute and reread some of the things you've written because you come off as a nine year old that's furious because his dad won't give him more than half an hour of PC time a week.

Also, based on numerous things you've said, you clearly don't know how to care for large, aggressive fish, let alone a mated pairs.

I had problems with aggression in a 150g with two five or six inch Jack Dempsey. How exactly do you think your story is going to end well?

Just a reminder, please keep it nice when posting as this thread is being monitored.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom