Few Questions and some things about my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corster

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an over stocked tank to start out with; here is a list:
2 Zebras
3 Gold Gouriamis (SP)
1 Gray Gouriamis (SP)
1 Fire Fox
1 Plocostimus (SP)
1 brown plocostimus (SP)
3 Green barbs
3 Albino barbs
3 tiger barbs
1 Dragon gobie
1 cat fish (forgot the name because I never see him he is always in the gravel)
I most likely forgot 1 - 2 fish. Thats in a 29 gallon. I'm running Compact florescent (65 watt) 50/50 bulb 10,000k and 65000k bulb. 1 penguin 170 and 1 aqua clear 200. I'm probably running 300GPH at the least. PH=6-8 (hard water around here and getting good water just costs way to much) My GH and KH is also high. It's well water from Wisconsin :? . I had a time where my nitrates were perfect, but now I do so much water changes and my nitrates are still 20-40 ppm. I know my tank is overstocked but the fish I have in there all get along and every time I go there someones battling someone for a mate or all the barbs are schooling. Its awsome. How can I stablise my nitrates with out decreasing fish in the tank. There has to be a way.

Also are dragon gobies carnivorous? I was wondering if I should just buy some feeder guppy and see if he eats them, because the barbs tend to eat everything in a minute tops. [/quote]

Only way to control nitrates is to change water. You have to many fish and you know it. You need to star reconsidering your stocking.

First, check your well watyer to see if it contains any nitrates to begin with. If not, either reducing the bioload or increasing frequency and size of water changes are the only things that will reduce the nitrates.
Dragon goby = purple goby? Long, slender, snakelike critter? If so, it's a brackish water fish, and wont do well long-term in fresh water. They do well on frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp (provided the other fish don't eat them all first...).

All my fish get a long though. I'm just sick of doing 25% water changes ever 2-4 days. Yea dragon gobie thats my problem the fish eat so many of the brine shrimp. My tank is a mix between fresh and blackish water (more leaning towards blackish) I was just wondering if dragon gobies are carnivorous I know the naturally feed on small plankton type things, but can they be carnivorous.

They won't eat most other fish, though possibly would eat fry, but it's more likely the rest of the crowd woud get them first. The goby will outgrow the tank, a 29 is really too small for that species altogether.
I'd recommend removing the gourami's from the tank for a start, and upgrading to a 55 for the goby and making it a proper brackish tank. You could also keep a snowflake moray eel w/the goby in a larger tank, cool fish and they (and you) would all be happier in the long run. :wink:

Definitely don't buy any more fish. Not even feeder guppies for your gobies.

WOW! That is a lot of fish.

I'm just sick of doing 25% water changes ever 2-4 days.

Option 1: Reduce your bioload.

Option 2: Continue to do water changes and hope for the best.

Sorry, but there really isn't anything else you can do.

the plecos are going to rip that tank apart lol I had a common pleco get over 12 inches in a 29, your nto a true fish keeper until you net a very large nasty looking 12 inch pleco with a 6 inch net LOL

You have to act responsibly. One of the main problems i find and hear about on this magnificent forum is of people who have a nice tank setup and then, because they want more fish but won't/can't increase their tank size, they just add more fish. Ok so your community is ok right now but it won't be like that for much longer. And your water quality will suffer long term. It's not fair on the fish and it's not fair on you to be having to PWC all the time. Fishkeeping should be relaxing and enjpyable not a chore. All of the successful tanks i have kept in the past have all been at their best when the bioload is right. At that point i've been able to enjoy my fish and my setup. And lord knows i've learned about overstocking the hard way but now i know that you have to follow the rules if you want healthy happy fish. Which is what we all want, right?

Good luck man and keep asking questions, the guys on here are brilliant.

wow 2 many fish iv got a 135 gallon tank and only got 24 fish in it .water changes are a good thing once a week keeps the fish happy and ammo down . i agree you need a larger tank 55 gallon is not a bad start and they dont really cost alot .if you cant afford a larger tank id remove some of the larger fish take them to local fish shop most will take your fish. good luck

Back
Top Bottom