Film on water's surface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce410

Aquarium Advice Freak
image-2911455492.jpg

Any ideas on how to get rid of this? It keeps coming back after water changes and it's still hard to get rid of it with a water change. It's a betta tank and all parameters are good.

Let me know of any guidance you have.

Do you have anything agitating the surface, or any water movement? THat might help. :)

You need more surface agitation, im pretty sure its protein build up, or oils from hand cream or the like

redsea said:
Do you have anything agitating the surface, or any water movement? THat might help. :)

Fishkeeper26 said:
You need more surface agitation, im pretty sure its protein build up, or oils from hand cream or the like

Thank you both! I forgot about that possibility. I'll put in an air stone in the morning.

Are your tanks around any kind of smoke?

I regularly burn incense in the same room as my tanks, and even with high surface agitation, the smoke causes a film to form on the surface.

Rokuzachi said:
Are your tanks around any kind of smoke?

I regularly burn incense in the same room as my tanks, and even with high surface agitation, the smoke causes a film to form on the surface.

No but thanks because I sometimes burn incense (once a month or so). I can just switch rooms.

Bruce410 said:
Any ideas on how to get rid of this? It keeps coming back after water changes and it's still hard to get rid of it with a water change. It's a betta tank and all parameters are good.

Let me know of any guidance you have.

This formed on top of my tank when I left it with no filter. I moved my fish out and left the water just sitting there and after about a week or so that formed on top of the water. I don't have smoke in the room or stuck my hand in there, it just formed automatically.

I have a in-tank filter on my 5 gallon tank for my beta (since the HOB filter caused to much water movement it was blowing the little guy around) and I get this film buildup about every week... but since I do a 20-50% water change once a week it normally goes away. I might try leaving my water a tad lower this time though so the filter creates some splashing as to agitate the water.... see if that helps.

millerb7 said:
I have a in-tank filter on my 5 gallon tank for my beta (since the HOB filter caused to much water movement it was blowing the little guy around) and I get this film buildup about every week... but since I do a 20-50% water change once a week it normally goes away. I might try leaving my water a tad lower this time though so the filter creates some splashing as to agitate the water.... see if that helps.

Perfect yeah, I have intank for the same reason. I'll try that. Thanks

My planted tank has some die off going on right now (curse you online plant retailers!) that is resulting in organics accumulating on the surface. A bubbler or powerhead aimed at the surface should help.

Another nifty technique is to remove it with a paper tower. Submerge the towel, hold it by the corners, and slowly pull it out of the tank. The film will deposit on it, effectively removing it. Rinse repeat as needed.

...Rinse repeat as needed.
Whiter, brighter, new and improved! (laff)

On the serious side, when I had a skim of schmutz on the water top I added a little aeration to the power head I had running and the bubbles would accumulate under the skim until they reached a large enough size to break through, effectively breaking the skim layer and consolidating it just enough to allow the filter to remove the debris. Could be worth a try.

I don't think I can use a powerhead though. It's a 5 gallon tank and the beta gets blown around with a normal HOB filter. So I had to use a inside tank filter.

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I wasn't suggesting you use a power head. I was just saying that adding aeration might help. You can do this with a bubble wand or any other source of aeration. I just happened to add it through the output on the power head because there is a port to do it.

Sorry for the confusion. But, any source of air bubbles in the tank will suffice to break up the surface skim.

Back
Top Bottom