Filter Broke !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sisserydoo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,

I've got a 10 gallon with way too many fish in it. One adult black molly, six of her half grown babies (that I'm trying to pawn off on people :eek:) ) and four zebra tetras.

Anyway, I was changing some of the water, and when I plugged the filter back in, it wouldn't start. It's definitely broken, I've tried everything.

I won't be able to buy another for 2 or 3 weeks.

Considering the excessive amount of fish I have in the tank, how many/much water changing should I do? Do you think every other day would stress the fish out too much?

Any advice would be greatly appreciate. Except "you have too many fish" ... I already know that !!!

Take the media out of the filter and put it in the tank. That way at least the bacteria will be in contact with the tank water. But regardless...2-3 weeks without a filter or water movement is bad news. Really need movement to break the water surface so that the water is oxygenated. Without that, the O2 will drop and the fish will suffocate.

Yeah, this is unfortunately a bad situation. I agree the 3 important things are keeping the tank oxygenated, keeping the filter media wet and oxygenated and controlling toxin levels with water changes.

If you don't have an air stone...you need to get one (or hopefully a cheap filter until you can get an appropriate one). I would personally add the air stone to create lots of surface agitation, keep the filter media wet inside the tank...and do 50% water changes every day to be on the safe side. Hopefully you also have a good water conditioner to neutralize any toxins which may build up over time.

This is one of those situations where if cost is the issue and you want to keep your fish healthy...I'd be asking friends / family for a few bucks to keep your fish alive. Good luck :(

What type of filter is it? Did you try to manually spin the impeller? Often that is all takes to get it up and running.

If you don't have an air stone...you need to get one (or hopefully a cheap filter until you can get an appropriate one). I would personally add the air stone to create lots of surface agitation, keep the filter media wet inside the tank...and do 50% water changes every day to be on the safe side. Hopefully you also have a good water conditioner to neutralize any toxins which may build up over time.
(

+1 with Eco .... This is exactly the reason why air-stones should be considered an essential backup component for maintaining aquariums. Keeping the surface agitated will be key in addition to PWC's. 25% daily PWC;s may get you by ... but 50% is better considering your stock and tank size.

And yes ... put the filter media in your tank so your BB don't starve ... last thing you need is a mini-cycle once you get your new filter. Good luck and with some vigilance your fish will be fine!

Thanks everyone for all your advice!
The good news is I do have a bubble bar going along the back of the tank. I pulled the filter medium out and put it in the tank, it was still damp, so I think it's okay.
The issue of getting a new filter is not cost, it is the remoteness of my location. The closest pet store is an hour away. I might be able to get out in the next week or two, until then I will change about 25-50% of the water each day.
I've always intended to be more prepared and have some back up equipment, I need to get that done!
Thanks again!

if cost isnt the issue why not order one online? it'll probably be cheaper in price, and the gas would probably cost more than the shipping would too.

if cost isnt the issue why not order one online? it'll probably be cheaper in price, and the gas would probably cost more than the shipping would too.

Have to agree with jeffP ... you'll get it faster and at a better price than driving 2hrs total to an LFS. Plus you may even get free shipping on certain sites for spending over a certain amount.

jeffp said:

Fantastic idea! In fact, order it express mail and consider the extra shipping cost the gas money you'd be saving if the store is that far away. You can find fantastic deals online. I got my Fluval 405 filter for $129 online (With free shipping!)...in my LFS they're $239!!

Sisserydoo, I have a spare Whisper HOB power filter that you are more than welcome to have. I can ship it tomorrow and since Im in Michigan, you should have it in relatively short order.

The caveat: I dont know if I have any extra filter cartridges to ship you. But you can buy them at Meijer, Target, etc. Its a pretty common power filter and the filter cartridges are cheap.

Hello, I'm sorry I never responded to your post Chriznat!
That was a very kind offer, thank you very much :eek:)
I did get a new filter, and all the fish survived not having a filter for a while with no noticeable effects.
Thanks for everyone's advice.

Back
Top Bottom