Filter capacity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrOutCastX

Aquarium Advice Newbie
How can you tell the capacity of a filter? By that I mean how much can it clean?

Okay, basically, I'm trying to build a canister filter, my question is how to judge what it can handle? Does more media make it better or more water flow? Is there a rule of thumb for figuring this out?

Ps. I'm not sure if this belongs here, or in DIY, so apologies in advance if its misplaced.

How can you tell the capacity of a filter? By that I mean how much can it clean?

Okay, basically, I'm trying to build a canister filter, my question is how to judge what it can handle? Does more media make it better or more water flow? Is there a rule of thumb for figuring this out?

Ps. I'm not sure if this belongs here, or in DIY, so apologies in advance if its misplaced.

Both are important, you want good flow and a ton of room for media. What are you using to build one and what size is your tank. Just beware this isn't a simple task. The canisters on the market utilize a siphon effect which in turn puts pressure on the walls of the canister. These filters were designed to withhold that pressure. People have accomplished this using the buckets you can get at Home Depot but I've heard they will warp. The extent at which those who have tried it go to make sure it doesn't leak or warp is to me not worth the time or trouble. These DIY canisters are best used on the same level as the tank, so not underneath in a cabinet in which would create the siphon pressure. Others may have had success with this and I'm not trying to dissuade you, it's just not a simple task if your trying to simulate the typical under tank canister.

Currently, I've got a 30 gallon. But I would like to upgrade to a 100 gallon eventually. I've seen a decent guide for making a canister out of pvc piping, which makes sense because they're made for water anyway. It utilizes a siphon effect so there's miminal load on the pump.
Really I want to know how I can tell or where I can find info on the amount of medi ill need and the gollans per hour the pump needs to be.

I still have a lot of research to do before building it, this is just a part of that, so please brutal honesty is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom