Filter change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almcloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a Pinguin 150 filter for my almost established 10 Gal Marineland tank. How often should the filter be changed? On the manufacturer's booklet it says every 2 to 4 weeks. I heard that bacteria habitates in the filter too, why do I wanna through that away? Pls help.

Ideally, never change it. In reality, change it when it falls apart. I changed mine just a few days ago and had to go through mini-cycle for about 24 hours, no big deal.

Filter Change

Good morning alm...

I change out half the water in my tanks weekly and find most power filter media can be rinsed or squeezed in the old water change water and reused two or three times.

I use filter pads and polyfiber in my Aquaclear HOB filters and they last two or three water changes.

B

the manufacturer's booklet it says every 2 to 4 weeks.

The manufacturer lies like a bad toupee...... they just want your money.

I rinse my filter media at about every other water change. I replace my filter media maybe a couple times a year. The more you rinse it, the less often you'll have to change it out. And I never go through a mini-cycle when I have to change it as I have multiple types of media in my filters.

I change out half the water in my tanks weekly and find most power filter media can be rinsed or squeezed in the old water change water and reused two or three times.

I use filter pads and polyfiber in my Aquaclear HOB filters and they last two or three water changes.

Seriously? I can't imagine why your filter media would have such a short shelf life. Even with my HOBs, I never change out anywhere near that often.

The manufacturer lies like a bad toupee...... they just want your money.

I rinse my filter media at about every other water change. I replace my filter media maybe a couple times a year. The more you rinse it, the less often you'll have to change it out. And I never go through a mini-cycle when I have to change it as I have multiple types of media in my filters.

Seriously? I can't imagine why your filter media would have such a short shelf life. Even with my HOBs, I never change out anywhere near that often.

Hello Lynda...

I use HBH chemical media pads and polyfiber in my HOBs. The pads are thin but very dense and I really like how they keep the tank water crystal clear. There's a heavy bioload in all the tanks (a lot of Fancy Guppies and Corydoras) and all are heavily planted. So, I change half the water weekly. Squeezing and rinsing the pads really wears them out. I never change all the pads at the same time and polyfiber pads are a little heavier and last longer than the chemical pads. But, my tanks are super clean and it's rare when I don't have fry in the tanks. I may have a pic or two I can post if you're interested. My planted tanks are strange, but the plants do well and I've never known the fish to complain.

Thanks for your comment.

B

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I guess you're having great luck with your method! :)

Thanks a lot for your input. Will take all your suggestions in consideration and see what works best for my 10 gal (fake plants aka beginner plants ;-)
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom