filter cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orandafan12

Aquarium Advice Freak
How would i know it is done. Ive left in my 29 gallon tank for a week and a half. Its a 90 gallon

Use the li k steez posted above. It will get you on the right track.

To see how far along you are, you should test the water using a test kit. Most members recommend the API master liquid test kit. Test strips are not very accurate.

I believe the op is saying that he has a 90 gallon filter on his 29 gallon. Asking how he knows the filter is ready. Might be wrong though.

That just talks about the fishless cycle. I wanna know if the filter im cycling is done. I need to move it to my 75 gallon tank

picture_117 said:
I believe the op is saying that he has a 90 gallon filter on his 29 gallon. Asking how he knows the filter is ready. Might be wrong though.

In that case, if the filter was already established, you could lost some beneficial bacteria if you didn't feed it with ammonia over the week it's been sitting.

I'm a little unclear about what you are asking

picture_117 said:

Your right.........

orandafan12 said:
That just talks about the fishless cycle. I wanna know if the filter im cycling is done. I need to move it to my 75 gallon tank

I think I understand now, you put it in your 29 to grow bacteria an then your moving it to the 75 gallon? I could be wrong, but I think the bacteria needs more time to grow on your new filter. More than a week and a half.

EDIT: nevermind, I'm still kinda confused.

Do you mean you put a new filter on an established tank, and ran it on there for a while to seed it? If so...the longer the better. I'd say at least 2-3+ weeks is ideal. Once you move it over, add fish very slowly and closely monitor the levels. It'll give you a great head start...but it won't be anything like you did a full fishless cycle.

A 29 gallon tank is setup with fish I'm assuming. Op added a new filter to seed it so he can move it to a new tank.
I believe it'd be better if you moved all the media from the new filter into the filter that is already cycled and leave that for some time.

orandafan12 said:
The tank im moving it to is also cycled. Can i just put it on that one?

If the tank you're moving it to is already cycled...why are you seeding it? (just curious)

The 75 just cycled like 2 days ago. I was just being stupid i guess. I gotta do some adjustments to the canopy though.

Back
Top Bottom