Filter feeders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daylilly

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do I need to be supplementing my filter feeders? Feather dusters, frog spawn, green bubble coral, mushrooms, zoos???? If so with what?

Everything you mentioned besides the feather dusters, are NOT filter feeders. They also do not need supplemental feedings to thrive, and get most, if not all of their nutrition from your lights. They do however benefit from small feedings every once in a while, but feeding is certainly not required. Coral are photosynthetic.

The feather dusters you have don't need supplemental feedings either. It's been proven they do just fine without feedings in aquariums because they catch whatever particles are in the water column and whenever you feed the fish in your tank, they catch scraps and particles from the food.

yep. i forget what the ratio is, but it was something like 40, or 60% of the food fish eat comes out undigested. it just gets put back in the water column and breaks up into tiny particles.
it's an excellent food source actually.
the best thing you can do is be diligent with your nutrient removal. in a closed system you would be surprised how fast nutrients get excessive.
remember, when you feed the tank, the food really doesn't disappear. it just gets changed.
keep the water clean and your fish and corals will thank you.

Back
Top Bottom