Filter Floss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all,
I have quite a bit of Mopani wood in my 29g aquarium, I boiled each piece three times before installation. I have an emporer 280 and after a week it appears that the filter floss is catching a lot of the tannins and the filter is turing orange. Can I leave the filter in place until I see a different coloration or do I need to change it. It looks as though the filter could be changed every week based on the tannins and it is getting a little expensive. All of my test results are normal with nitrates a little above zero but not really concerned. I perform water changes on a weekly basis and am considering two per week. I'd love to not have to not go through a filter per week.

The tannins are not harmful (some fish even loves it & people buy extracts to add to the tank), so there is no problems leaving it in the tank. Changing the filter is only needed for cosmetic reasons. <ie if the yellow color bothers you>

I wouldnt change the filter floss. A lot of your beneficial bacteria lives in there and changing it will mean loss of bacteria and a chance for a mini cycle (or worst restart of cycle). I would just rinse it in old tank water.

Back
Top Bottom