Filter Floss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JesseMessykinn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im Def. looking to switching over to filter floss for the well being of my plants. Just wondering..

How often do you change it out?

How much should i use?

Will my water stay clear w/o the carbon?

JesseMessykinn said:
Im Def. looking to switching over to filter floss for the well being of my plants. Just wondering..

How often do you change it out?

How much should i use?

Will my water stay clear w/o the carbon?

In my experience it's much better than carbon at water clarity, most would say only to use carbon if your removing medication.

Use as much as you can stuff into your tray or cartridge or whatever your using.
:edit: put it in the last tray, or what ever to make sure it gets hit last. As it collects small particles it would clog quickly if it was first

I normally change it every month when I do a proper clean. By then It's abit horrible and yucky and need doing, so if your worried every two weeks wouldn't hurt but monthly seems to be fine for me.

In my experience it's much better than carbon at water clarity, most would say only to use carbon if your removing medication.

Use as much as you can stuff into your tray or cartridge or whatever your using.
:edit: put it in the last tray, or what ever to make sure it gets hit last. As it collects small particles it would clog quickly if it was first

I normally change it every month when I do a proper clean. By then It's abit horrible and yucky and need doing, so if your worried every two weeks wouldn't hurt but monthly seems to be fine for me.

100% poly-fill from an arts craft store.. A bag can last you months .. Maybe a whole year.

jcolon said:
100% poly-fill from an arts craft store.. A bag can last you months .. Maybe a whole year.

A bag of filter floss can also last a year is amazing how much you get for your money.

I change mine once a month when it looks bad. I buy my stuffing at walmart. $4 for a big bag. Just make sure it doesn't have anything added to it

Nomadu571 said:
A bag of filter floss can also last a year is amazing how much you get for your money.

I almost got a bag from an LFS at decent price, but then I saw a similar sized bag of poly-fill at an arts/craft store for $3.00 less.
I suppose it's which is the better price... LFS floss in bags is decent in price.

jcolon said:
I almost got a bag from an LFS at decent price, but then I saw a similar sized bag of poly-fill at an arts/craft store for $3.00 less.
I suppose it's which is the better price... LFS floss in bags is decent in price.

Yeah true, I'm in the uk so we get ripped off over vat and tax so filter floss is cheap, but lots of people recommend poly-fill, so I guess it does the same job. I havnt tried it so I wouldn't want to recommend it to the op.

Either canisters or hobs. I havnt run a canister so I can't say but internal filters can be tricky depending on how much space you have inside the casing. Wrapping it around the sponge isn't the best idea, so having its own compartment is best.

Internal filters like the tetra range have a cartridge style inside, on one side of which the floss can be stuffed. In a hob it can be placed in the tray along with biomax, sponge or whatever and is alot easier to get to in order to replace it. Canisters I assume have a tray which you can stuff it in, then simply pull out the tray to replace.

HOB's are simply easier to clean/maintain, main difference (aside from placement/appearance) is media capacity. I use aquaclear hob's on most of my tanks, eheim canisters on 3 others. The aquaclears get cleaned whenever I do partial water changes, the eheims when I notice their flow rate is low.

I use the fluval u4 replaced the carbon with filter floss and the water has never been clearer

Back
Top Bottom