Filter for 10 Gal planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobbieHadley

Aquarium Advice Freak
New to the planted scene, so Ive been reading through the Help Articles. I found that I don't want to use activated carbon by reading them, so Im going to get a AquaClear 20 HOB. My question is, since you don't want to use the carbon, what media do I want then? Basically just a sponge? Haven't set up the tank yet, hoping to in the next couple weeks, so Im just trying to find what all I need to buy. Thanks in advance :fish2:

Filter Media Option

Here's some great stuff that you can cut to fit in your AC that filters out the fine stuff and is really cheap to use. I got mine at Petsmart. A pack of this will last years in a AC20. You can squeeze it out and reuse till it falls apart. OS.

Attachments

• DSCF1054.jpg
    DSCF1054.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 58
Appreciate it OS that would be great to not have to buy it all the time haha. Any other media that you recommend adding, or just keep it to the pads?

You're welcome. That's all you really need. Foam on bottom, that stuff in middle and bio beads on top. If you ever need to clear up tannins or want to "super clear" you water, you can easily add a 100ml Purigen packet just below the bio beads but its not necessary cause your water may be that clear without it. AC's are great for customizing media layers.

Awesome. Ive been into the Aquarium hobby for a few years now, but this is my first venture into Planted and its taking more of a toll on my wallet to set up than I originally expected lol but Im excited, can't wait to get started

Yea they really are aren't they. Very addicting hobby, and once you have one tank, you have to have more. I hear it gets even more addicting once you go to planted tanks lol

Back
Top Bottom