Filter for a 75 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigbert22fishiz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I will be getting a 75 gallon aquarium soon and I dont know what kind of filter to get!!!!! I was thinking of a fluval 405, but I am not familiar with any other good canister's or good HOB filters for a 75.

I will be housing:
Boesmani Raibow fish
Penguin Tetras
Apistos
Corys
Otos.

Please help me find a good filter for my tank.

For excelent filtration, (what my dad and i run on a 75), i recommend a Marineland Penguin Biowheel 400 AND a Marineland Penguin Biowheel 200.

Fluval fx5 and aquaclear's 110 come to mind. You can run 2 110's if you wanted.

I did that before I switched to the fx5. Now I run both 110 and fx5 but I have a way heavier bio load then you.

FX5 is way overkill for the OP's stock list IMO. For the fish mentioned above, I would choose the Rena XP3, the Fluval 405/406, or similar.

bigbert22fishiz said:
I heard Biowheels are noisy. Trying to get a quiet filter

Aquaclear's are quite and a solid filter if you wanna save money. You can 2 if you want.

Biowheel filters are without a doubt more noisy than even a cheap canister. The Emperors (280, 400) are much better quality than the Penguins, but the spray bars make them even louder. It gets worse with age too. I've got some Emperors (no longer in use) that are close to 10 years old. I've never had a Penguin last that long.

With a 75 gallon tank I think you'll be happier with a canister.

bigbert22fishiz said:
Right noow I am leaning towards the Rena xp3

Can't go wrong there either. I think those say 350gph and they rate it for up to 175 gallon tank. You get your 3 chambers and quick disconnects. It's a solid product. I don't have first hand experience but I've heard good things about them.

Last edited:
We have several XP3's and several XP2's. They are good quality, and quiet. A few of ours are 6+ years old and still running great. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Oh, one thing I did want to mention about the XPs is that the plastic clamps that you use to secure the tubing onto the filter, totally suck. It's much easier to replace them during initial setup than it is to replace them later, so I suggest going to Home Depot or Lowe's and buying metal clamps to use instead.

Back
Top Bottom