Filter for betta tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vthokie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any filter recommendations for a 10g betta tank? I know they don't like strong currents. I currently have a small HOB filter, but it's current is too strong for a betta.

Specific brands/models would be appreciated.

Thanks!

if u clean your tank regularly an undergravel filter could do the job.

since betta = not too much waste,
UGF = no strong current
and your tank looks like pretty small too, which means easy to clean

just unplug and vacuum

Sponge is good, but I have used a small power filter hang on type in my ten gallon single betta tank. If I put it all the way in the corner, he had the choice of the current area (which I swear he loved to swim in all the time, I think they do like a little current, or the choice of either way) or the rest of the tank that had little or no current.

filter

Like Sicklid, I use a small power filter (an Aquaclear 20) in a 10 gal betta tank. There are some tall plants directly in front of the filter, which helps to reduce the current. And really, our little male doesn't seem to mind the higher current. He does not "nap" in it, but he will explore that end of the tank. He has even learned to flare his fins slightly and surf the water flow to get to the other end of the tank quickly, say at feeding time. Of course sometimes he misjudges and goes head over tail. :D

The problem with using an UGF is their effectiveness and maintenance. Modern power filters are much more effective at keeping the tank clean and you don't have the build up underneath the filter plates that eventually will have to be removed. The UGF is especially a poor choice if you have a planted tank.

I have seen some really great planted UGF tanks that have been running for years. They are a wicked filter and easy to maintain assuming you do the work and don't let things get behind. Reverse UGF's are even better.

Persoanlly my betta is in a 5 gallon tank and uses a Sponge filter with an air pump. They aren't very quite but he is in a noisy part of the house so I don't care. I have also had betta's in 10 gallon tanks with Aquaclear minis. They get used to the current fairly quick. It can just take a bit of time to regrow muscles after being in a tiny cup for so long.

Thanks for the replies! I might try a power filter with plants or something else to break up the current. I'm interested in trying the sponge filter, but I don't like the noise from air pumps. I remember when I was a kid I had one, and the noise & vibrations drove me nuts. But that was then...I'm sure there are some better made models these days. I'll look around.

Back
Top Bottom