Filter Media Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrcoolt

Aquarium Advice Regular
Not sure if this should go into the hardware section or not. My tank is fully cycled. I have a Marineland Penguine 350 on my 29 gallon tank. I am using the 2 cartridges that came with it. I never added to two additional that it has room for. Should I add the other two, or does it not matter? Also, if I add the other 2, will I have to re-cycle my tank?

If you add two more, it won't hurt anything. It will up your bio and mechanical filtration, not decrease it.

In fact, when you are going to change filters, add the two new ones in front of the old ones. Leave them in there for a week early, then remove the two old filters.

OR, remove one filter cartridge, replace with new, then a week later, replace the second one.

What you do not want to do is replace both at the same time since a large amount of your bio filtration is on those cartridges.

I agree with hpiguy, but it could slow down the actual flow of water. (my powerfilters are pos and will die on a regular basis) But that is sound advice, but also you don't want too much gunk on them, good bacteria is good but it can also get out of control. Put the other ones in there (cut out the bottom and take out the carbon, its useless, and put them in the back, after a week or two, take out the old ones and wash them off, and put them aside, you can reuse them.

jrcoolt said:
Not sure if this should go into the hardware section or not. My tank is fully cycled. I have a Marineland Penguine 350 on my 29 gallon tank. I am using the 2 cartridges that came with it. I never added to two additional that it has room for. Should I add the other two, or does it not matter? Also, if I add the other 2, will I have to re-cycle my tank?

If your tank is cycled, it doesn't matter if you use them or not. As long as the original cartridges are not replaced, there will not be any 're-cycling'. I find the additional cartridge holders useful for filling with filter floss (polyfill) which does a wonderful job of polishing your water in addition to acting as additional biological filtration. Using these cartridges will not impede water flow either because this is how these filters were designed to be utilized. The only way to impede water flow is to block the intake tube. Do not replace the cartridges until they are literally falling apart.

It's also important to note that your beneficial bacteria do not get "out of control". They are directly proportionate to your bioload- you increase your bioload, your bb will adjust upwards and grow as well. If you decrease your bioload, your bb will adjust downwards and die off from insufficient food supply.

Ok cool. All of you provided alot of help on this. I think I will be picking up a couple more filters this weekend, and some polyfill as well. Now is this the same kind of Polyfill that is used in subwoofers?

You got me on the subwoofers- I honestly have no idea on that one! Polyfill is used to stuff pillows/blankets/toys/etc. You can pick up a bag of it at walmart for a couple of dollars & it will last you forever! Just make sure its regular polyfill and not the 'flame retardent' stuff (treated with chemicals). The bags say right on them if they are flame retardent or not- the flame retardent stuff is also twice as expensive. :)

If you don't have a local WalMart, check out any store that carries crafting materials.

OK. I will check out Hobby Lobby. There aren't really any Walmart's close to me.

Back
Top Bottom