Filter Media set up Fluval 204

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chella

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys

I am starting up my new aquarium and not sure what media to put in my filter. I have a Fluval 204.

Aquarium:
130 Litres
will have relatively soft water (got it on tap where I live :))
Planning on keeping Bolivian ram pair, corys and neon tetras.
drift wood and plants

The filter has foam down one side which the water initially flows through, then 3 canisters up the opposite side which water moves up and back into aquarium.

I was planning on adding bio-balls and ceramic tubes to the last (top) two canisters, but not sure what to put in the first canister (after foam). I was thinking about putting some kind of water polisher. Any suggestions?

I looked into activated carbon and basically got confused as to use it or not. What do you guys think?

Cheers (Sorry for the long post!)

You sound good on the biomax and many people do one container with Purigen or filter floss. I'd skip the carbon as it's only really necessary if you're trying to do something specific like remove meds from the water column.

I filter through in this order.
First, Ceramic tubes or bio balls.
Then, Course filter sponge.
Then, Fine filter sponge.
Finally, Filter floss with a small bag of Purigen.
When cleaning the tubes or balls, simply rinse in removed tank water (gently, just to remove loose debris). I gently squeeze the sponges in tank waster but ensure they remain a bit 'dirty'. I replace the floss and only replace the Purigen if it's very dark brown or black.
My water is crystal clear.
I don't use carbon as I only treat fish in my quarantine tank if required.
Hope that's of some help.
A quick tip: I fix a plastic bag over the filter outlet with a rubber band before turning back on. This collects the fist water through the filter which I throw away. It stops the initial rush of dirty water being washed into your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Great thanks! Im going to add filter floss. Should this be in the last canister then? Thats a great tip with the bag, I alway have this problem with my other tank.

I have another question about Purigen. I have looked into it but some people say good things and others say its not nessasary.
I guess im wondering if I use it, should I cycle the tank first so it doesnt play around with the nitrogen cycle? Or put it in from the start?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Purigen is a great product but not essential. I would not add it until the tank is cycled as it is not necessary.
If you like the black water look with the leached tannins from bog wood making the water more tea coloured and more acid then don't use Purigen. It removes all colour from the water, I was shocked when I used it first because I knew my water was clear but didn't appreciate that the water was coloured. The difference in 24 hrs was remarkable. I bought 2 of the pouches, one for each filter and intended to reform them with bleach as directed but decided I didn't like the idea (other Forum members disagree). So I bought a large tub and change the Purigen in the original mesh bag when required. This is more economical. I used a plastic food bag clip to reseal the bag as you really don't want the Putigen to leak into the filter. It does no harm but if it gets washed into the tank then it's really hard to get it out again as it's very fine granules.

Ok great thanks for your help. I will cycle the tank then decide on the purigen.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi guys

I am starting up my new aquarium and not sure what media to put in my filter. I have a Fluval 204.

Aquarium:

130 Litres

will have relatively soft water (got it on tap where I live :))

Planning on keeping Bolivian ram pair, corys and neon tetras.

drift wood and plants

The filter has foam down one side which the water initially flows through, then 3 canisters up the opposite side which water moves up and back into aquarium.

I was planning on adding bio-balls and ceramic tubes to the last (top) two canisters, but not sure what to put in the first canister (after foam). I was thinking about putting some kind of water polisher. Any suggestions?

I looked into activated carbon and basically got confused as to use it or not. What do you guys think?

Cheers (Sorry for the long post!)

I don't use fine filter/ water polishing pads unless u want to change them often. I had my pump barely pumping because the pads plugged up quickly. It's nice to have because your water will be clear but not worth the hassle in my opinion. I use bio max in 2 treys and coarse foam sponge in the other and I only have to service my filters every 3 months instead of every week. I almost had a loss of fish due to my pump running 1/3 of water that it was suppose to. All because of filter pads so just be aware if you use fine filter pads that it could slow your amount of water being filtered

Show me a fish that don't eat and I'll show you a sick fish

I run my Fluval with sponges and ceramic rings only and reduce flow by 50%. Water stays crystal clear.

Back
Top Bottom