Filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2007PSanHa

Aquarium Advice Regular
How often do I need to replace my filter media? It contains activated carbon, sponge and bio rings. It says to replace once a month but I do it once every 10 weeks. I only replace the activated carbon and sponge. My filter gets pretty clogged up scone I added plants!

2007PSanHa said:
How often do I need to replace my filter media? It contains activated carbon, sponge and bio rings. It says to replace once a month but I do it once every 10 weeks. I only replace the activated carbon and sponge. My filter gets pretty clogged up scone I added plants!

Just rinse it in tank water when you do a water change. I replace my filters when there literally falling apart. My sponge I haven't changed since I started which was I'm gonna say before October. I just rinse everything in old tank water when I do my water changes.

Only thing I discard is my filter floss on my saltwater tank every water change but that's a different ball game.

You shouldn't replace the sponge, just clean it out in tank water. The carbon could be replaced with more bio media,such as more bio rings or plastic pot scrubbers, or more sponges. The bio rings should last forever. The filter should be cleaned as often as needed, and how often that will be depends on the tank itself.

OK! I have some spare bio rings, I it alright if I add them to my filter because I only have six in at the moment?

Back
Top Bottom