filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nathanden

Aquarium Advice Freak
what do you use to keep water clear I have a canister filter but my water seems kind of foggy

my water is perfect just not as clear as id like

I have a c530 on my 90 gal.

holy crap that clear how often should floss be cleaned I have some but its nasty lol
I swap the floss in that tank every 2wks. It IS overstocked though and I use Fluval Stratum as my substrate, which is basically baked clay, so when disturbed it gets messy in there.
Some people rinse the floss(in used tank water) and re-use but I just replace it each time. I find it takes a few days to really get the water as clear as in the video.
If it's nasty, definitely change it. It's your choice to rinse or replace it but because it's so cheap, I just dump it. How often you change it really depends on your stock. I could probably get away with leaving it in there for 3-4wks. I would replace that floss and look into getting some Seachem Purigen...

The thing I don't like about floss is that it needs lots of maintenance being that it's so tight, unlike sponge.
The cloudiness could be over feeding? More frequent water changes always help.

do u know where to get floss in bulk cheap lol I hate buying the name brand shitt if there is a cheap attentive

Walmart or craft stores. Polyester fiber fill it's called. It's what is used to fill pillows and stuffed animals, etc. Just make sure there is no extra chemicals or anything else added to it.

can u get it in sheets and where's the best place to put floss in a canister

It just comes in clumps stuffed in a big bag. I would put it after your sponges/mechanical filtration.

can u get it in sheets and where's the best place to put floss in a canister

If you are looking for sheets, MarineLand has uncut floss sheets (blue on one side, white on the other) 320 sq inches. You can cut to custom size for your filter and apply it in layers. Pretty durable and withstands multiple rinsings.

hey guys iam going to get some floss today at wall mart. you say to put it after my sponges should I put its just above them or in a different tray?

my filter goes

sponge
charcoal
bio max
plastic bio balls

where should I put it?
thanks.again

hey guys iam going to get some floss today at wall mart. you say to put it after my sponges should I put its just above them or in a different tray?

my filter goes

sponge
charcoal
bio max
plastic bio balls

where should I put it?
thanks.again
You can put it either before or after the bio media. If you have room, you could put it before and after the bio media. It may seem overkill but it's an extremely cheap media.....

thanks for all the help guys iam just waiting for.the puirgen to come in form amazon.

question about that.stuff to lol what kind of bag do you use with that? they sell a nilon bag for 9 bucks is their a cheaper alternitve

thanks for all the help guys iam just waiting for.the puirgen to come in form amazon.

question about that.stuff to lol what kind of bag do you use with that? they sell a nilon bag for 9 bucks is their a cheaper alternitve
With an alternative bag, just be careful and get a good quality one. Bleach can damage/weaken the alternative bags. I don't use them as I buy the pre-bag. I'm sure if you google it, you'll get some reviews on it or maybe another member will chip in with the answer....

Ok i got some purigen how fast dose it work? I put floss in and its still has a lot of particles

Sent from my SGH-I717R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok i got some purigen how fast dose it work? I put floss in and its still has a lot of particles

Sent from my SGH-I717R using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Purigen will not do much for the particles, the floss will sort that out. It also depends on your filter. If the filter is inadequate, the floss can only do so much. You need good flow for the intake draw the particles in. Depending how bad, it shouldn't take more than 1-2days to really notice the difference. The Purigen will polish the water, removing the organic waste which will make the water look clearer...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom