Filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spfdfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been reading and there are a lot of mixed reviews on what media to use inside the filter. I have a 10 gallon tank using an aquaclear 30. I just use a giant sponge in the filter I recently added the white things that came with the filter. Just curious what most people are using. Freshwater tank. Photo of sponge attached. Thanks. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394263806.947198.jpg

I also just use sponges, regular sponges, they work good for me and are cheap.

I use two 700l/h external filters in my 270l tank (in reality with filter materials fitted they run about 300-350 l/h each).
As the filters are tall and the water starts at the bottom I have ceramic tubes on the lower level, bio balls at the next, course foam, fine foam and finally floss to polish the water. When the filter is cleaned the ceramic tubes and bio balls are just dipped once in a bucket of tank water. The sponges are dipped and agitated unless a bit clogged up. The floss is always discarded and changed. The bottom of the filter usually has a layer of gunk which is rinsed away.
I have always worked this way, going progressively from course to medium to fine floss and find the filter never clogs.
I would never have a form of media (apart from the top layer of floss) that ever needed replacing.
Filter cleaning is, IMO, only to remove excess detritus which may have slowed down filter flow rates.
I personally do rate ceramic tunes for their vast internal surface area and there ability to never get blocked up , unless you really leave your maintenance at too long an interval.
I have a pretty good handle on my filter flow, you can judge when the flow is reducing. Difficult to say how often to clean a filter, it depends on tank size, stocking, planting gravel cleaning etc. it's a gut feeling.
Sorry - got carried away with my answer. I'll shut up now !

Use the sponge and load the rest of the ac 30 with ceramic rings. Thats where most of the BB will live.

Back
Top Bottom