Filter noise harmful?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatieJ

Aquarium Advice Freak
This might sound like a really weird and random question, but I'm being completely serious here, I promise. XD; I recently set up a new Red Sea Max Nano filter for my betta's 2.5 after the other one crapped out on me. It's pretty noisy compared to my Aquaclear on my 5g, and I'm starting to wonder if it would bother my fish. Would the noise be stressful/harmful at all? o_O Is there anything I can do to lessen the noise?

KatieJ said:
This might sound like a really weird and random question, but I'm being completely serious here, I promise. XD; I recently set up a new Red Sea Max Nano filter for my betta's 2.5 after the other one crapped out on me. It's pretty noisy compared to my Aquaclear on my 5g, and I'm starting to wonder if it would bother my fish. Would the noise be stressful/harmful at all? o_O Is there anything I can do to lessen the noise?

I do think loud noises can stress fish.
I mean, if the fish looks fine and is acting normally i think it will be ok. If the filter vibrates a lot and shakes i would stop using it. But everybody can get used to noise, i think your fish will be ok.
I hate loud filters, I can't stand them! They are harmful to ME ;)
I hope someone that owns this filter can tell you how to subdue the noise!

Noise/vibration is resonance and IMO is probably caused by loose fitting hoods and other parts. I normally give it a whack and it stops :p

If the noise is from the filter itself, it may suggest a higher rated filter than what is actually required in this small tank. The only sources of vibration are a rotating impeller causing movement of water. This assuming the filter is well engineered and in good working order, no worn or loose fitting bearings.

In summary, a small tank like this should not have a noisy filter.

Oh and if fish are unhappy about something, they will show signs. This may be erratic behaviour, gasping at the surface, slow swimming or movement, just to name a few.

Interesting, thanks. XD The filter's rated for up to 3 gallons, and this is a 2.5, so it shouldn't be that much of a problem. Maybe it just needs to be adjusted or something.

But yeah, the betta's doing fine, still as active as always. :D I just did a training session with him to swim through a keychain hoop. He's almost there!

Back
Top Bottom