Filter on or off during feeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
A few friends of mine recommend turning my filters off while feeding my Africans. Was wondering of anyone else does this and what the benefits are?

I run 2 filters so I would have to shut them both down. My other thing is there on a APC unit so that would mean unplugging them.

Your thoughts?

IMO I don't see why you would need to do this or what the true benefits would be. I myself have never turned my filters off when feeding, maybe they're thinking that by turning off the filters less food is sucked up into them, but I don't have this problem in any of my tanks all my fish are little piggies and seem to eat everything I feed them in a matter of seconds!! Plus depending on what type of filters you have wouldn't you have to prime them when you turn them back on? Sounds like a lot of extra work to me just don't overfeed your fish and you won't have any problems. + I heard the less you turn your filters off the better!! :)

I think this got started when the guys with reef tanks started doing this because the flow in their tanks pushed the food around so much. I've never turned off the filer(s) in my tank(s) when feeding.

mfdrookie516 said:
I think this got started when the guys with reef tanks started doing this because the flow in their tanks pushed the food around so much. I've never turned off the filer(s) in my tank(s) when feeding.

This happens with my tank a lot, I haw the outlet pipe pointing up and the force pushes the food into my floating fake plant where it would eventually rot and spike ammo.

I turn the filter of for like 5 mins during feeding and flick it back on when they are done to pick up the tiny leftovers from the tetras.

But just because I do it doesn't mean it's right or required lol :)

If the food is getting carried off with the water flow before the fish get a chance to eat it then yes. But other wise i don't see the point. I never do. Even with my bettas. I just feed them in a quiet calm corner of the tank.

Mumma.of.two said:
If the food is getting carried off with the water flow before the fish get a chance to eat it then yes. But other wise i don't see the point. I never do. Even with my bettas. I just feed them in a quiet calm corner of the tank.

My "quiet" corner has the floating plant in it lol.

I guess I shouldn't worry then... My monsters don't even let a pellet sink! They practically jump out of the tank!

If the flow doesn't push the food all over the tank before the fish can get it, then don't worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom