Filter opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomasm87

Aquarium Advice Activist
is a canister filter necessary for a 30 gallon? im thinking of having a moderatly planted 30 gallon and i was wondering if a canister filter would be to much or should i have a hang on filter? i plan on starting slow with low light, easy demanding plants and start from there. And eventually getting a CO2 system.

IMO, u could just stick witha HOB filter. I think it will do all ur necessary needs. However, if u plan on going CO2, u could use the output tube of canister thru ur reaction chamber to help CO2. A canister can be helpful with a planted tank. But a simple HOB filter can work with CO2 too, just watch too much surface aggitation. What kinda setup r u looking into? Future plans for tank?

im considering a Fluval 305 canister in case i ever need a CO2 system cause i heard a HOB will agitate the water making the CO2 less effective. I like to have more filtration thats why im considering a 305. like i said ill start with a few plants and start from there. Not sure if ill have afew plants to a forest. Just depends on how content i am with how the tank is looking. Lighting i can upgrade at any time. But i want to get sufficient filtration the first time. Im planning ahead for a 30 gallon or larger ill get later.

How does a reaction chamber work?

The output water mixes with co2 gas in a "chamber" unit allowing all gas to be dissolved into water before it goes into tank. U can buy or make these units. Look them up online.

Back
Top Bottom