Filter questions with flow...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RWaltman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 50 gallon rated top hanging filter in my 29 gallon tank...it pours the water into the tank via a waterfall type effect...i.s there any way to lessen the waterfall effect? some of the smaller fish can't swim through the place where it pours in, effectively cutting my tank in half for them...any suggestions?

What water level do you maintain? If the tank is full the violence of the output should be minimized. What type of filter is it? Some offer slightly variable flows.

It's a tetra brand filter...close to the new EX70, its the older model rated for 30-50 gallons...the water level is very high, almost covering the filter output chute...I'm looking for something I could add on to the chute to dissipate the water more evenly instead of just dumping it into the aquarium

The only thing that comes to mind would be possibly to silicone a strip of acrylic to elongate the chute. That piece could have holes drilled into it to diffuse the flow. Never seen it done, just a random off the cuff thought. I can't imagine that the flow would be so strong top to bottom.

Attach a small thin piece of Foam or Sponge were the Water will flow over it.

I believe if my memory serves me right I saw a post here were a member did that very thing although I do not recall were.

i had the same problem with my 10 gallon my neon tetra were getting blasted to the floor when they tried to eat i went to ace and got the smallest piece of acrylic they had and made a v shaped base with two black zip ties then i drilled 3/8 inch holes i think 6 of them maybe 7. then i took a piece of cut to size filter media and used one zip tie to attach the filter foam to the acrylic seems to be working great. but i lost the flowing effect that sweeps the food around the tank to the intake, but the tetra are very happy

You might also consider putting some tall decorations or plants in the path of the flow. Floating plants affixed to the output can work as well.

Back
Top Bottom