Filter recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chels10117

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've heard from you guys and other people as well that I should get more filtration for my tank. (I was going to post this on my other thread but I figured I would just start a new one). I'm really trying to be a good fishkeeper this time around lol. But my tank is very heavily, slightly over, stocked already. My 36 gal with aqueon quiet flow 30.

I was looking to add a canister filter and dear lord I could buy a new tank for that price... I can't afford that. I cant find any cheap ones.

I also don't want 2 Hob filters... I think that would look silly. Although I might end up just going that route anyways because if I buy another hob why not use both right? But cutting open the other compartment in my hood to put a filter there bugs me. Idk why lol.

So I was thinking of upgrading my hob filter to a better one. I'd like to keep it fairly inexpensive with like $65 being my absolute max price (and that's still expensive). :( It sucks cuz I bought this tank for an awesome price that came with the filter but here I am going to spend more money ugh. :(

I was looking at the marineland emperor power filter for up to 90 gal. Which looks like a really nice one but **** expensive. There is also the aqueon quiet flow 55/75 that would be more affordable.

Any other suggestions? Reviews? What would you do?

Thanks! :thanks:

I prefer the whisper hob filters they're quiet and relatively cheep. I run one in my 10g that I keep in my bedroom and I never hear it. Go for the ex series they look nick and are cheep one for a 30-45g tank is only about $25

Keep calm and drum on

For hob, I'd go with aquaclear 70. For canister I'd go with eheim, 2215 perhaps. Both worth the money. If there's one thing I've learned about this hobby, it's that starting with good quality equipment is the way to go. Most end up upgrading anyways.

I own a fluval C4 way quieter than an aqueon but don't know about aquaclear. But my C4 has way more clearance behind my tank and looks super sleek. Purchased on amazon for $70 and ad my own media in it. Here's a pic but can't see much of it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

AA freaked out on me here's the pic

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1436236070906.jpg
    1436236070906.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 56
Thanks guys for the recommendations. It looks nice Stacey. I'm currently looking on amazon and ebay to see if I can get better prices on any of these. So far I see canister filters for really cheap but idk if they are made cheap. Not sure what I'm going to do yet.

Thanks guys for the recommendations. It looks nice Stacey. I'm currently looking on amazon and ebay to see if I can get better prices on any of these. So far I see canister filters for really cheap but idk if they are made cheap. Not sure what I'm going to do yet.

Sun sun and aquatop make some pretty good canister filters for low prices.
Don't have any sunsun products but have used aquatop filters, heaters and pumps with no failures.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah I'm looking at a SunSun canister filter right now on amazon for like $44 free shipping. I have an amazon gift card too. Most all of the reviews are really good and it looks like it is fairly good quality for the price. And it comes with all of the media. I might buy it. I'm just concerned about maintenance... Are canister filters hard to clean? My mom has to do maintenance on my tank for a little while and she liked the idea of just taking a cartridge out and putting in a new one.

Here it is:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MGX7JXA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1W7R5UJZCLN8X

Back
Top Bottom