filter science

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, they perform different functions. The carbon will remove odors and discoloration (which shouldn't be an issue if you do enough water changes) and the peat softens the water by releasing tannins.

Yes and no, it can depend on the tank. Fresh peat can release A LOT of tannins, so much that even with a normal amount of carbon you will defintiely see a difference in the water (depending on the amount of peat used). Depending on the amounts and qualities of the peat and carbon it could go either way.

Yes and no, it can depend on the tank. Fresh peat can release A LOT of tannins, so much that even with a normal amount of carbon you will defintiely see a difference in the water (depending on the amount of peat used). Depending on the amounts and qualities of the peat and carbon it could go either way.

If the peat is producing so much tannins that the carbon cannot cope wouldn't that exhaust the activated carbon and make it useless anyway?

I always thought that activated carbon traps dissolved organics in the water until there is no more surface area available on the carbon to adsorb any more organics. For that reason and from stuff that I have read I was under the impression that when one wants tannins in teh water one should not run activated carbon. I'd like to know if this is a misconception but I remain skeptical about the ability of activated carbon to do its job if its saturated with tannins from the peat.

If the peat is producing so much tannins that the carbon cannot cope wouldn't that exhaust the activated carbon and make it useless anyway?

I've stopped using carbon a while ago. IMO there is no difference, as I have not noticed any difference since stopping. So IMO it wouldn't be the end of the world if the peat rendered the carbon useless.

What you can do though, if you want to use carbon, is get a small powerfilter and put nothing but carbon in it. That will make changing it, which will have to be done more regularly, much much easier.

So much knowledge on here it's awesome. I guess the next question is: why does having tannins in the water matter?

I don't think that it does. As far as I know, it's a matter of whether or not you like the look of the stained water.

It mimics the Amazon's water, which is know as black water. Tannins and tannic acid are released, which softens the water.

if you want tannins, maybe get some sort of driftwood and make your tank look natural, I ain't sure if Malaysian driftwood releases tannins, but my water has a nice stained color to it and it looks great, almost amber like I believe

if you want tannins, maybe get some sort of driftwood and make your tank look natural, I ain't sure if Malaysian driftwood releases tannins, but my water has a nice stained color to it and it looks great, almost amber like I believe

As far as I know Malaysaian driftwood releases tannins (mine certainly did). Another alternative to get the blackwater effect is Tetra blackwater extract (I havent tried this myself)

I've stopped using carbon a while ago. IMO there is no difference, as I have not noticed any difference since stopping. So IMO it wouldn't be the end of the world if the peat rendered the carbon useless.

What you can do though, if you want to use carbon, is get a small powerfilter and put nothing but carbon in it. That will make changing it, which will have to be done more regularly, much much easier.

Yeah your experience kind of supports what I think, that the carbon becomes useless.

Thanks for the suggestion, I actually don't need to run carbon just wanted to know if I had the right idea ;)

You should post a pic of your tank, would love to see it.

Back
Top Bottom