Filter stopped working??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nuclear Queen

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just realized the filter in my 10g community tank cut out! I really don't think it's been out all day, but I didn't pay any attention to it in the morning.
The air pump is still working perfectly fine so there's still water circulation and oxygenation and it's been cycled for many, many months. I really don't think have the money for a new filter, how long could the tank stay healthy without this one working? I'm really worried about my babies!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Have you tried cleaning out the impellor and impellor chamber? Sometimes they stop from gunk build up inside where the impellor spins. OS.

If you do a small water change every 2 days of about 10% then they could probably stay healthy for 2 weeks. Then after that their health will slowly get worse. Without the water changes then maybe a week.

Happens to me all the time. Like the others have said, just take it apart and clean all parts of it and it should run again. If it's a hang on back style, make sure to fill it up with water before turning it back on :)

Back
Top Bottom