Filter suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KLehman72

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am on the process of adding yet another tank to my collection. This time, a cichlid tank. I'm planning on stocking with Rams. It will be a 55 gallon with a sand substrate, some rock and possibly driftwood. I'm debating filtration. I've heard that canister is the way to go with cichlids. It appears there is a very broad range on canisters. Any thoughts on the Marineland Magnum Pro 350? Looking for suggestion under $200

For less than $200 I'd go with a Fluval 405. You could easily purchase one on EBay for around $180 shipped.

This will turn over the tank a little over six times an hour which would be plenty for a 55g. Easy to set up and maintain this would be my first choice.

I use 2 aquaclear 70 hob's on my (heavily stocked) 55, easier to maintain than a canister and more circulation than a single filter. Ram's aren't a big cichlid so the bioload won't be heavy.
If you do prefer a canister I have a used fluval 305 and a new eheim 2215 available, both for under $200. Either one would be sufficient for biofiltration, I used a 304 on a 55 for years, but I'd also use an air-driven sponge filter to increase overall circulation. Ram's like their water quite warm, so it needs to be turned over to maintain the O2 level.

Amazon has the fluval 405 last time i checked for 149. With free shipping.

I agree with the above posts, a canister would be a great bet and you'd have enough filtration with the 405. Also much neater in the tank instead of HOB filters. :-D

Fluval's new range of canister filters are simple to maintain and reasonably cheap and the 305 would be enough but the 405 would be great for a 55. Much better then a HOB, and anyway who would want that any way they take up valuable tank space, look unattractive and don't do the job as well. I'd go for the 405. I'm thinking of picking one up for my 30 gal. Remember, you can never have enough filtration

An Aquaclear is easier to maintain and cheaper to buy than a cannister. A 70 with 2 sponges would work well, or if you want overkill a 110, again with 2 sponges. also, much neater with only one thing protruding into the tank instead of 2, and no suction cups. It is not true that you can't ever have enough filtration. Any filter that keeps the ammonia and nitrite at zero is enough filtration. Having/adding more filtration will not lower those numbers.
If I had $200 to spend I would buy another 75 gallon tank, shoplight, sponge filter and blasting sand and use the rest to buy some fish.

BillD said:
An Aquaclear is easier to maintain and cheaper to buy than a cannister. A 70 with 2 sponges would work well, or if you want overkill a 110, again with 2 sponges. also, much neater with only one thing protruding into the tank instead of 2, and no suction cups. It is not true that you can't ever have enough filtration. Any filter that keeps the ammonia and nitrite at zero is enough filtration. Having/adding more filtration will not lower those numbers.
If I had $200 to spend I would buy another 75 gallon tank, shoplight, sponge filter and blasting sand and use the rest to buy some fish.

To be honest that would be enough filtration except the fact is that you will have 2 internal filters inside the tank that will not only look bad but also take up room that you could be using for plants, rocks and fish swimming space. Also after sumps, canister filters are the best filters for a tank as they are not in view and can pump a lot more water (gph) meaning better filtration as the water will be passing through the filter maybe 2 - 3 times more often then in the case of an internal. The last thing is that the new fluval filters are the easiest filters ( internal or external) I have ever seen to clean, it literally takes 10 minutes max and is very clean. IMO you can't compare an internal filter to a canister as the difference I substantial and for larger tanks are the best way to go.

HOB filters are not internal, (hence the name Hang On Back) they are external and it would be one tube inside the tank rather than the two associated with a cannister. The only thing inside the tank is the intake tube. With an AquaClear filter you don't even have to turn it off to clean it, which I'm pretty sure you can't do with a cannister. A cannister may or may not move more water than a HOB. Regardless, I will stand by my statement; you can't lower ammonia and nitrite levels below zero, and any filter that does that is sufficient. The cost factor alone keeps me away from cannisters, but maintenance is a close second.
I am not knocking cannister filters per se, as they work very well if maintained, but, they are expensive to buy. For the price of a cannister I can have another tank set up, which to me is a no brainer. I'm surprised we don't scare people off with some of the expensive suggestions made on these forums especially when it comes to lighting and filtration. The tendency is to recommend the most expensive option, bigger and brighter than necessary, as if it were the only option. Most people who keep multiple tanks soon figure out cheaper ways to do things, and are equally successful, often more so.

Got to agree with you there. I'm thinking about upgrading filters in the kinda near future, and when I see someone suggest a 300 dollar filter it makes me wonder what I've gotten myself into. Lol.

I guess my feeling on this is that by buying the Fluval I will likely see better performance which I believe will ultimately save fish. I may spend an extra $50-$100 but will make that up in not having to replace fish. Also, the Fluval will allow me to add peat to one of the baskets which I understand is beneficial for Ram cichlids. I'm ordering the Fluval 405 tonight...thanks to everyone that chimed in.

Back
Top Bottom