Filter Too Strong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YanBanan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I’m am completely new to owning a fishing tank, so I went with a 10 gallon starter kit by Aqueon. I have been cycling it and slowly adding fish, right now I only have 2 African dwarf frogs and 3 male guppies. However, I noticed that my filter pushes the guppies down when they swim under the filter, and it also pushes the food to the bottom of the front of the tank. It’s also quite noisy.

I’m considering purchasing a different filter because I’m worried this one will stress out the fish. I plan on getting some neon tetras too.

Is this filter bad? Should I get a new one? And if so, any recommendations or specs I should look for?

Thanks

Can you turn down speed of filter?
Can you add a sponge to intake?

Also a tip to turn off filter while feeding and turn back on after fish have finished eating.

If you can lower the flow with an adjustment. I just read the basic info and it didn't mention anything for adjustments, and touted higher flow for better O2. A piece of filter pad tucked into the part where the filter pad cartridge goes in - hanging out towards the top of the water. Think of the technique of tucking a napkin into the collar of a shirt like for a kid before eating.

Or possibly there is enough room to add 2 filter cartridges which can slow it down some.

The fish will get stronger at swimming too in time.

Other or additional options are to get a tall DW which would be around the height of the water and add it at an angle towards the side of the tank to get the outward push of the outflow tamed down.

I did one time see where someone cut a piece of tube drilled holes around the bottom across the back of the tank (horizontally) for the water to enter and disperse. Not sure how the tubing was held on.

Since it came with a Quiet Flow 10 filter, you can remove the front blue thing and put in a larger piece of 10/20 ppi foam that will cushion the outflow.

Back
Top Bottom