Filters for a 3 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KimmoKun

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an mini Aqueon QuietFlow Internal Filter for m 3 gallon tank. Is that a good filter? Any other sugggestions? How often should I change the filter? Some people say 1-3 months

TMRC Exotics kindly suggested I "cut into the filter and empty the old carbon and replace it with new carbon every 30-40 days." I will probably try that. Should I change out the sponge that is in there or just keep it?

TMRC Exotics also suggested the top fin 10 hang on back filter". I actually had one before but read somewhere that an aquarium should have a good circulation throughout the aquarium. Do hanging filters provide good circulation? Someone also said that I shouldn't have a filter that breaks the surface of the water. He said there should always be a "mirror" of the aquarium underneath. Am I getting false information?

Thanks a lot! I appreciate any suggestions. :)

What are you putting in this tank?

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Surface agitation is good for aerating the water. I always look for a disturbed water surface. Bad info you were given in my opinion.

The top fin is a good option for such a small tank. I have one a 5.5 gallon and it doesn't create any serious turbulence in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom