Filters for Koi and Goldfish Pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ravn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just finished filling my new pond (14 ft. long, 10 ft. wide) the depth goes from 1 foot to three feet deep. My plan is to move my goldfish and my two koi into it as soon as the water cycles but I am concerned about the filter for the koi. I was reading and saw that Koi need better filtration than goldfish, possibly chemical filtration using carbon, etc. My pond volume is roughly 3150 gallons and right now I am running two pumps for filtering, one is 350 gph in a bio-filter box with a fountain attached, the other is a 550 gph in a bio-filter box which simply filters and circulates the water. I am adding a third pump tonight: an 1800 gph waterfall pump for my waterfall. Will this be enough filtration for my koi? I want to add more koi to the two I already have. And...how long do you guys think it should take for the water to cycle before safely moving my fish into it? Its well water, no chlorine present and I have already added some bio-boost and another bottle of bacteria. I'm going to test it tonight. One more thing, anyone got any suggestions on how to clean stuff off the sides and bottom of the pond other than an expensive pond vac? Thanks!

Thanks Piranha. I just ordered the Laguna 2100 pressure filter to fit with my 1800 gph waterfall pump. My pond was green when I first posted but I have managed to get it to a light brown color now (no chemicals used) and I can actually see the bottom. I'm still having trouble getting all my fish transferred over to their new home. It seems my two koi are reluctant to make the move, I've been chasing them for four or five days now!! lol

Back
Top Bottom