Filtration in a High-Tech Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwampoki

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
All, I have a question related to filtration in a tank that is using some form of CO2 gas injection whether it is pressurized or DIY. If the tank is planted only, meaning it has no livestock, filtration is not really necessary; however, if livestock is present, depending on the stock level, filtration may be helpful/required.

My question then is this: What is the best way to handle filtration in a high-tech tank? Would it be best to ensure an under stocking of the tank so the need for filtration is minimized? Use a canister filter to eliminate the "waterfall" effect of a HOB? Use a HOB with the water level of the tank high enough to stop the "waterfall"? Use a submersible in tank filter?

My current setup on a 29 gal uses a Maxi-Jet 400 or 600 (can't remember) to drive a Rex-Grigg reactor that is hooked to a paintball CO2 setup. At the moment, this is plant only tank so filtration is not technically necessary. I am more asking for the future if I decide to add livestock to the tank what would be the best way to proceed. All that I have for filtration available at the moment is HOB filters.

I prefer canister filters myself and in the tanks with CO2 I have the outflow about 3 to 4 inches down in the water. I have 3 Fluval 406's in my planted 220g with CO2 and 4 powerheads, two of which diffuse my CO2. In the one 55g I have a Fluval 406 canister but I also run a small HOB. What I do in that instance is run the HOB on a low flow setting through the day so it has minimal impact on gassing off CO2 and then once the CO2 is turned off for the day I turn the water flow up to max again on the filter. I don't understock my tanks just because I run CO2.

Never used a fluval but I've heard good things from many on the forum. I use an Eheim.

Back
Top Bottom