Filtration question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buckfins

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everybody...a quick question....The brown color on the bio max indicates the presence of beneficial bacteria. I was told that bio-media should never need to be replaced and/or changed out. Yet the AQ 110 says to change it out on a monthly schedule. Is this true? I don't want to wash away any of the bio filtration that is beneficial.:thanks:

Hey everybody...a quick question....The brown color on the bio max indicates the presence of beneficial bacteria. I was told that bio-media should never need to be replaced and/or changed out. Yet the AQ 110 says to change it out on a monthly schedule. Is this true? I don't want to wash away any of the bio filtration that is beneficial.:thanks:

It's false. Just an attempt to make more money.

Correct, should never have to do anything to your AQ biomax. The sponge will get brown, and you really don't need to do anything to that unless you know you notice you have lost flow.

Kevin

So to be clear....DO NOT RINSE IT OUT OR CHANGE IT.....correct?
Its best to rinse biological filtration out once a month or so in old tank water. Just fill a pitcher up and rinse it really quick.

As for the sponge, it would be best to clean it more often.

But no, ceramic media should not have to be replaced.

Its best to rinse biological filtration out once a month or so in old tank water. Just fill a pitcher up and rinse it really quick.

As for the sponge, it would be best to clean it more often.

But no, ceramic media should not have to be replaced.
Mebbid...should I at least rinse the Bio Max in tank water to clean the bag a bit? It gets pretty gross and brown too...

Back
Top Bottom