Fin rot help, video and pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason Longboard

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys, I purchased these 5 silver dollars looking the same as they do now with the torn fins and thought it was most likely from stressful shipping and overcrowding, nipping and such. Looked like clean edges without fuz or other growths and discoloring.

I had to tread my tank with prazipro last week for possible parasite from petco firemouth and thats all cleared up.

My tank has 2 ac110s and the bio sponge, all water test good with dropper test kit.

Anyways, All fish act and eat great. No fighting other than the one firemouth putting the others of like in check. Silvers get ignored and as I said they already looked like this.

I have not treated them with anything yet for this, until today I added the recommended amount of aquarium salt and raised the heat to around 82. Been doing 25 percent or so WC every other day for several days.

Now, does it look like fin rot to you guys?
Should I just keep with my plan?
Should I get melafix or pimafix?
Should I use a real med?

Please see video and pics.

No quarantine tank and I would rather the tank be cured and not just each fish alone in case my others are catching it. One firemouth looks like just maybe one fin is on it, not sure yet.

Please watch vid as well as view pics.

YouTube - ‪fin rot maybe in silver dollar fish‬‏

It doesn't look like fin for from those pictures, edges are clean with no discoloration along the way. Looks like plain fin nipping to me, have you observed any aggression from them? I've kept dollars as dithers for large CA cichlids and it worked but they are so skittish and they were constantly picking at each other. Sounds like your keeping your water parameters perfect so as long as they're eating and there's no sign of seconday infection I wouldn't worry to much.

Fin rot is easy to remove wihh first a good clean up and as a medication, use formol 37% (1l) with 3.7g of methylene blue in powder and 3.7g of malachite green. Close the aquarium light for 3 days, use 1 drops per 2gal. US. Half dose for non scale fish and 2drops per 5gal. US for catfish and tetra. Dose day one and 2, 50% water change day 3. Repeat if needed. Cheap medecine gbat helpe for a very large variety of parasite and fungal infection and a couple of bacteria gram - and some gram +. Never use with temp 28 celcius and more.
Can be hard at full dose for invertebrate.
More than 8 days is hard on cycle.
Pay attention when mixing formol base med, formol is volatile and dangerous to inhale. Ask the drug store making it for you its better.
Never use if there is injuries, formol would be bad for that.

http://aquarium-59.forumactif.com/t39-fmc

Look there
An old med

O forgot
Dont manipulate or store formol with plastik, it melt you need glass container and glass doser for dosing your tank.

That med is great but your fish are not sick and dont need medication... Only good food and love should do the job within a month or two!

If there is no aggression in the tank!

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't look like fin for from those pictures, edges are clean with no discoloration along the way. Looks like plain fin nipping to me, have you observed any aggression from them? I've kept dollars as dithers for large CA cichlids and it worked but they are so skittish and they were constantly picking at each other. Sounds like your keeping your water parameters perfect so as long as they're eating and there's no sign of seconday infection I wouldn't worry to much.
they were already like that when I got them, figured it was just nipping in shipment or wherever they came from, just figured they would get better in my tank by now, well se how this goes, thanks bud.

Back
Top Bottom