Fin Rot Possibly? Treating without chemicals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ephy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there,

Long story short, upgraded my betta tank to 10G, dropped in 8 Glass Shrimp, new gravel, fake and real plants and started monitoring the water with API Test kit.

within 1-2 weeks all I had left was my beautiful betta and 1 shrimp. This shrimp is the largest of all of them.

One day I came home to find my betta's tail had been ripped. I was quite upset. I assumed it was because Bubbles got stuck behind the filter and somehow managed to catch his fins and rip them. I've seen him wedge himself behind the corner filter before and was always terrified he would get stuck.

The next day or two, his fins looked slightly worse... the 3-5th day, more ripping! This one week, I had let my 1.75G water replacement slide.:banghead:

I had enough at that point. I pulled out all the new decor, netted the large and scary shrimp to house elsewhere (I have read too many scary stories about glass shrimps) and vacuumed the gravel. There was so much debris in the gravel.. it was beyond disgusting! I had no idea it was so bad! I had always monitored the Ammonia levels.. and it never went above .50

I thought I was doing well. After vacuuming the gravel and replacing 80% of the water I hoped for the best. All that was left in the tank was gravel and a couple fake plants. Now I knew to carefully monitor his fins for black spots etc.. so I checked every morning and night.

With daily partial water changes.. I still did not see any sign of relief. I read about bacteria causing fin rot and decided to pull everything out of the tank. I tossed out all the gravel and fake plants in the garbage. Tossed out my 1 real plant. Ran all the rocks, his cup, skull, filter, and air hose under the hottest water I could stand. Rinsed his entire tank top to bottom in the hottest water and then re-added everything with fresh treated water.

I am still watching carefully. I am VERY nervous about attempting to treat him using any normal pet store chemicals and really would like to treat this with the least amount of stress to the fish.

I just bought, Stress Coat water conditioner, as well as, Indian Almond leaves to put in his tank. I am also vacuuming all debris out and replacing at least 40-50% of the water every other day. In hope this will help him fight it.

What else should I do ??? I don't want to lose him! There are so many opinions on what to do and what NOT to do... its really very confusing!

Please help? :(

Still learning how to attach pics and video. Sorry
Here is the most recent picture of his tail, taken today. He is still very active and seems very hungry.... I just want him to get over this with the least amount of stress. Suggestions?
1492139924836.jpg

I don't see Anything wrong with him if he has ripped fins they should Naturally heal up but watch out for fungus, looks really good imo actually

Oh I hope you are right!

I've become so attached to this little guy, I would hate the idea that I was not helping him get over this properly.

Thanks for such a speedy reply, Gosh, Even though he is "just a fish," He really has become an integral part of the family. I just want the best for him, I feel so ignorant about fish, and it is so stressful not knowing what to do.

Thanks again!

np. Like I said though watch out for funguses and "gross stuff" lol basic way to put it, anything out of the ordinary.

I don't see Anything wrong with him if he has ripped fins they should Naturally heal up but watch out for fungus, looks really good imo actually

Was thinking the same :) (expecting him to look worse).

For the OP, I found a bare bottom or just a sprinkle of gravel helps a lot in cleaning all the muck out. With water changes, I put him in a small container and then acclimatise him back. That way I don't have to worry when pouring the water back in and he gets caught or shocked. Just some thoughts. Thanks for the photo share.

Almost forgot - on the treating without chemicals, clean water all by itself can be quite successful. Seen plenty of threads where it works well.

It seems drastic to me, when comparing previous images of his tail. I'm glad to hear it's not as bad as you first thought of course.
1492146447845.jpg1492146471552.jpg

Hey Ephy,
So since you boiled everything you practically recycled your tank, so your gonna have to watch you water to make sure it doesnt look like crap. When I had fin rot on my betta it healed naturally with small every other day 10% water change and minimal feeding to make sure none of the food crap gets on the floor. If you do want to go to medicine in the end Furan 2 is great fin rot medication that I trust with my most delicate fish the discus :] Bettas are bad asses and will live through practically anything . so dont freak out :]

if she used hot water, that most likely wont kill the bacteria as long as it was put back into a water source within five minutes. Have to disagree on the whole recycling thing.
Btw I would keep ammonia at 0ppm always.

if she used hot water, that most likely wont kill the bacteria as long as it was put back into a water source within five minutes. Have to disagree on the whole recycling thing.
Btw I would keep ammonia at 0ppm always.
Im not saying she has to go through the whole 6 week cycle. but I know it wont be a reliable source and she will need to check the ammonia levels. thats all the cycle should be back in 2 or 3 days.. I have done the same exact thing before.

Im not saying she has to go through the whole 6 week cycle. but I know it wont be a reliable source and she will need to check the ammonia levels. thats all the cycle should be back in 2 or 3 days.. I have done the same exact thing before.
reason I said "what I said" lol, is because she should have a bio sponge in the filter, idk if she included that in the washing of all material since she just said filter. She said before her ammonia levels where up (not high but there) which is always something you want at 0ppm.

I have been checking the ammonia levels, and making sure it doesnt go up. As soon as it does go up slightly, I do a partial water change and vacuum the bottom of his tank for food/fish waste. PH is at about 7.4. About every other day.
It took about 1.5 hrs to really wash all his stuff in hot water and I really let everything soak for about 10mins or longer is hot water, before I started reassembling his tank. I removed his old charcoal filter and put in a spare filter with black sponge. I've been turning that filter on only for a couple hours a day, to give his fins a break and not mess with the almond leaf I have soaking in his tank now. I will continue to watch his fins and if it gets worse may try that medication mentioned. Thanks

I have been checking the ammonia levels, and making sure it doesnt go up. As soon as it does go up slightly, I do a partial water change and vacuum the bottom of his tank for food/fish waste. PH is at about 7.4. About every other day.
It took about 1.5 hrs to really wash all his stuff in hot water and I really let everything soak for about 10mins or longer is hot water, before I started reassembling his tank. I removed his old charcoal filter and put in a spare filter with black sponge. I've been turning that filter on only for a couple hours a day, to give his fins a break and not mess with the almond leaf I have soaking in his tank now. I will continue to watch his fins and if it gets worse may try that medication mentioned. Thanks
If I'm correct I've heard that if u turn off your filter too long it will kill the beneficial bacteria in the filter as it needs running water. And also u can just do a partial water change without vaccumming. If it's too clean it not letting the tank to catch up with bacteria that eats ammonia..

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I have been taught

If I'm correct I've heard that if u turn off your filter too long it will kill the beneficial bacteria in the filter as it needs running water. And also u can just do a partial water change without vaccumming. If it's too clean it not letting the tank to catch up with bacteria that eats ammonia..

no your right. I turn my filter off (obviously) during water changes (you should do fifty percent weekly forever)

There has been some field testing on this from various members. I do suspect the older the tank the more bullet proof the bacteria population so there seems there is no definite maximum time period when filters can be off. What works in my tank may not work in another. Also it's possible the bacteria can hibernate - there was one research article where the bacteria restarted after being starved of a food source for many months.

From ime and other posts: I've regularly had filters off overnight from power black-outs with no issues. Canister filters off for say 5 days go anaerobic/smelly from no water flow. Three or four days seems about the limit at least for closed filters. It would be interesting to see how people post cycled sponge material and if there is a maximum postage time past which the bacteria don't survive.

http://www.angelsplus.com/FiltersSpongeActive.htm

Back
Top Bottom