Fin Rot question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteWidow11

Aquarium Advice Activist
It appears on some of my fish the fins are either split on the back fins, one looks nipped(corner of tail? fin missiing), but only about half of my fishes fins are perfect.

Tap water is a clean 7.0
Tank water is 7.9 for Ph (I add seachem malawi buffer 7.8-8.3)
Ammonia+Nitrites 0
Barely got a reading for nitrates
Salt is added at 1tbsp per 5gal

There is some agression in my tank right now, but appears normal for a african tank to me. Every now and then there is a big chase but they always get away. Could it be due to the stress of agression?

Anyways, what can I do to help the fins grow back? Not sure if its a water issue, sick, fighting or stress.

Thanks!

Sent from my Droid using Aquarium

Here are some pictures. The red one is missing on the top and anal, u can see the black color stop. The blue one has some splitting it looks like to me. Other fish have similar issues, and some are fine, like the white one. I don't have pictures of all the fish.

Thank you

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110328_113037.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110328_113037.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 84
  • ForumRunner_20110328_113101.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110328_113101.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 79
  • ForumRunner_20110328_113438.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110328_113438.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 70
Tripple post, can I do this?

After some research, looks like I can buy some melafix?

If I do melafix, I cannot remove the carbon from my filter as I've tried before, its built into the pad. Pads are about 2 weeks old. Should I leave them in hoping the carbon is all used or run the tank padless for during treatment and not feed?

HUKIT said:
I don't really see anything alarming in those pics, is there any aggression issues with fin nipping?

Yes, my socolofi constantly tried to chase other fish in the tank, but he never seems to get to them. He has claimed the top middle of the tank, and the fish can easilly hide. Maybe I can get a video of his behavior and get help deciding if it warrants rehoming him.

Right after I typed this he got agressive, so I managed to get a video of how he is acting.

Anytime you see fish hiding or lingering behind equipment,near the surface or behind rocks thats clear cut aggression. The second thing is your stocking choices may not have been the best.

With a tank of that size(looks like a 55g) I would remove the Haps as they get too large. With that tank I would have 3 spieces with 1m to 4/5f ratio to help curb aggression.

HUKIT said:
Anytime you see fish hiding or lingering behind equipment,near the surface or behind rocks thats clear cut aggression. The second thing is your stocking choices may not have been the best.

With a tank of that size(looks like a 55g) I would remove the Haps as they get too large. With that tank I would have 3 spieces with 1m to 4/5f ratio to help curb aggression.

Ok, yeah the hap I know needs a 6ft, he is the only one luckilly. I set this all up before knowing species, but hey, at least I ended up with all africans lol.

The socolofi is in a bag now, he's going back to lfs and I'm gonna get a juvi kenyi or acei or bulmblebee and try to get some better ratios with the species I have. Right now there is 2 kenyi and 2 bumblebee, so maybe another female of those will help

I doubt what you're experiencing is fin rot, as that is usually uncommon. You have some aggression, thereore leading to nipped fins. Find the trouble maker, rehome it, and let the nipped fins heal. You should see results in about a month.

Thank you, this is what I am thinking too. He was the only one that would chase and nip. For example my white fish dominates the tank, but he stays in his tree stump and leaves everyone alone as long as they don't enter, and all fish don't even go near the stump lol. This socolofi tho was just crazy. Funny when I added him to my 30g before I had a 55, there was only 4 adults in there, and he got his *** wooped, floating at top of tank belly up. I got him just in time and put him in my other 30 with the smaller fish and he was fine. Every since he has been with all 13 fish in a 55 tho he has been crazy! Oh well he goes back today.

HUKIT said:
I bet that was a pain to grab him with the rockwork! Great looking fish though the hap and strawberry peacock are gorgeous.

It was actually easy, since he claimed the top. Cichlid stones make a great trap! I moved his area around to make him curious again, and as soon as he explored the cichlid stone, bingo!

And that's my problem with the white fish, he hides down in the rockwork, so I haven't given as much thought to rehoming him.

Welp "Wally" is no longer with us, but I got a store credit and got some melafix to repair his damage since their cichlid section didn't have anything I liked or was compatable. Some fish have marks on them etc so I'm hoping the melafix will just overall help their health. Thanks for the help everyone!

Back
Top Bottom