Fin Rot Won't go away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueBoy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Guys,

I wrote a while back about fin rot for my Betta Blue Boy, and it seemed the culprit was a dirty tank. After doing a complete clean of my tank (which I thought I was not suppose to do), my fish became stable, and the algea problem disappeared. Over the last few weeks though, Blue Boy has gotten progressively worse again to the point where I bought BettaFix. I have been medicating him since Sunday, but it hasn't worked yet. His fins are worse, and he has also been lethargic. Does anyone know how long should I wait before trying something else? Here is a list of things about my set up you might want to know:

3 gallon tank - BettaFix says had a teaspoon and a half for 7 days. I have done a little less medication every night.

Clean the tank every 1-1.5 weeks.

Temperature of tank is 74-76 with heater - I can't get it any higher as my thermometer is cheap and does not give me an option to increase heat. :(

I feed him twice a day 5 days a week with quality food.

Any other information I would be happy to answer. I appreciate the advice, I do not want him to become seriously ill.

FYI - Interesting side note, his color has changed. He use to be completely blue, and now he is half red. I guess he was an adolescent when I got him, and he changed. He is still pretty though.

Stephanie

Attachments

• Blue Boy.jpg
    Blue Boy.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Blue Boy 2.jpg
    Blue Boy 2.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 138
Hi Stephanie, if you cleaned the tank out, did you condition the water? You should double the dose on the conditioner. I'd get a better heater too. They are much happier in warm bath water. Mine loves 79, 80 degrees. As long as you keep the tank clean, and condition the water he will grow all that back. Meds for Betta's sometimes makes it worse. I don't use them. Your water is the key to a healthy fish. Test your water with water test kits. See what's reading bad. Water changes when your close to bad readings is key! Don't let the water get to that point. As soon as you let it go, your fish will get worse. Catch it before and he'll heal up on his own. It will take time, but if you do it right you will start seeing a difference, and start seeing him swim around as a little show off. And another thing, if you added salt, just know that don't filter out of the tank.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I always used conditioner, and I will increase the dosage. I decided to go ahead and finish the meds tonight, and then do a good cleaning tomorrow. I tested the PH, and it is hard, but better than what it used to be. If he is worse tomorrow, I will get his water tested at my nearest pet shop. I will work on a better heater too, but I am on a budget right now so it may have to wait unless it is imperative that I get one.

Also hey dont use bettafix or melafix for bettas/gouramis or any labyrinth organ fish it actually damages their labyrinth organ. And yes definitely get a heater you can get a small one for your 3 gallon tank for relatively cheap and if you order Amazon you can get these Chinese ones that are actually really good and can heat the water very efficiently. I have one that said it was 50 Watt and turns out it can get up to 200 watts and keeps a 29 gallon at a steady temp. Also I would dose aquarium salt and get the water heated and work with that while getting that bettafix out

Thanks for the input! I finished up the week of bettafix, and I did a complete cleaning of the tank, which should have removed it. I also moved the tank away from the window and the temperature is between 76-78 now, which is 2 degrees higher than before. Blue Boy seems much happier and active now. I will do water changes 3 times a week for now to keep the water clean and help him heal. Also, could you give me the name the of the hater you use in case mine acts up again?

Back
Top Bottom