Final Stocking Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuietPlotter

Aquarium Advice Freak
Forum Ahoy!

This is regarding the following tank:

10 Gallons
78°F at night, 83°F in the day with lights on
Ammo-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-10-20
Established

STOCK:
2 Female Platys

So, I was thinking of this:

2x Platy
1x Bolivian Ram
6x Shrimp (just to see how it works out)

Anyways, just with the platys and the ram, I would like another fish too. I understand the territorial need of the ram and have an area in my tank I'm sure it will claim. I was thinking of Corydoras Cats yet they need groups and my PH is too high; 7.6

So please give me constructive criticism, ideas, advice, all the goodies ;)

QP

QuietPlotter said:
Forum Ahoy!

This is regarding the following tank:

10 Gallons
78°F at night, 83°F in the day with lights on
Ammo-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-10-20
Established

STOCK:
2 Female Platys

So, I was thinking of this:

2x Platy
1x Bolivian Ram
6x Shrimp (just to see how it works out)

Anyways, just with the platys and the ram, I would like another fish too. I understand the territorial need of the ram and have an area in my tank I'm sure it will claim. I was thinking of Corydoras Cats yet they need groups and my PH is too high; 7.6

So please give me constructive criticism, ideas, advice, all the goodies ;)

QP

I would not put 4 platys in a 10, maybe 2. Also, i dont know how happy a ram wpuld be either. Someone else help with that...
Any corys that you get have to be pygmys too

I agree with the 2 platys. And rams need at least about 20 gallons. Shrimp is good though :)

Okay:
-2 platies is already stocked in a ten gallon IMO
-a single ram still doesn't have enough floor space in a ten gallon for a permanent home IMO
-add as many shrimp as you want

Personally, I would not put a ram in a 10g tank at all.
The only corys I would recommend for a 10g would be one of the pygmy species (habrosus, hastatus, and pygmaeus). They are super cute little guys though!
Why does your temperature chnage so much? You must have some really beefy lights. Some fish might not be able to deal with a temperature swing like that very well, but I would think some of the hardier species would be fine.
Would you consider a different fish other than a ram? There are honestly plenty of super cool options for a 10g tank that would probably be much happier in that amount of space than a ram would anyway. :)

Yeah, it's my lights... Anybody reccomend something under ten bucks?

Hey sorry to confuse you guys.

I never meant four platys, just two...

But I really want that Ram. I have mixed ideas; people PMing me it's ok.

Is there a single, specific fish, not a betta or a gourami, that can be in 7.6 PH and be a centerpiece, big as a Bolivian Butterfly?

Thanks,

QP

I wonder why those people are PM'g you stating it's okay, rather than stating their opinion in this thread.

I personally do not feel it's okay. I would expect nothing less than a 20 gallon tank for this species.

How about a dwarf gourami?

Because I PM'd a few individuals whom I think are very experienced... Hmm... I see. Will do some thinking ;)

Suggestions?

Oops, I meant not a Gourami, but if that is what I must pick I will.

I don't have any suggestions for the lights. I just use those cheap flourescent ones from PetCo in my 10g and it grows my plants without heating the water, but I don't know what sort of hood you have.
Yeah, some people do keep rams in 10g tanks. That just depends on what you are comfortable with I guess. There are not too many absolutes in fish keeping. Lol. Personally, I keep Bolivian rams and I would never ever put one in a 10g tank because of the aount of territory they seem to claim. I think mine are happier with more space. Also, territorial fish tend to often be more aggressive when they are in small spaces, so I wouldn't take the chance of putting a ram in a 10g community. JMO. If you get a ram, then corys would definitely be a bad idea IMO because of space conflicts.

Back
Top Bottom