Finally made the plunge to discus!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sudz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, been a while since I posted - I've been obsessing over discus for the last year and the girlfriend (now fiance!) got me a gift card... it was for 50 dollars "for discus" So cute. So I bought some supplies, and promptly spent 200 on 5 good size discus.

I didn't want to overstock my 75 gallon, so I chose, 5. I think I might regret this, as the singleton Yellow is quite a bully.

See the video I uploaded on Youtube.

I got them from Cam's aquatic services in Mississauga, Ontario, for 40 dollars Cash each. Big Al's wanted 110 for similar sized ones - DEAL!

Discus Feeding & Bully - YouTube

Could you help me properly ID these?

the Red/yellow ones are Melons I'm assuming. I think the blue ones might be blue snakeskins, but not sure as the pattern is a bit different. I was told there is no pidgeon blood in any of these, I was worried about bad peppering with my dark tank.

What should I do about the bullying? WIll it die down? they've been in the tank for 24 hours now.

im not a big discuss guy, but i think they are seeing whose the tough guy. so there just making the pecking order.

Nice discus. The yellow is a bit of a bully but should settle down in a few days.

It took about a week for my discus to darken up. But they still look good.

By the way, I think the bars on your blues look great. Makes them look a bit wild, very natural in a planted tank.

Enjoy your new fish.

very nice fish. I bought some beautiful discus from Cam a year and a half ago but I unfortunately had to sell them. I wouldn't worry about the pecking and such. Mine did the same thing until they established a pecking order. As long as they have lots of places to hide they should be fine. It is suggested that the more discus the better. Sometimes when there are not enough fish to spread the aggression around, the smallest one could get too stressed and die.
I was going to be in the Oakville area in a couple of months and I wanted to get some more but I heard Cam was shutting down his shop at the end of the month. Do you know if that is still the case... or if he is setting up somewhere else?

I was going to be in the Oakville area in a couple of months and I wanted to get some more but I heard Cam was shutting down his shop at the end of the month. Do you know if that is still the case... or if he is setting up somewhere else?

Thanks!

Yeah, he's closing the Shop. he is thinking of re-opening in Scarborough, which is a bit of a drive for me, but still doable on a weekend. (mayhem during rush hour during weekdays though)

I think he MIGHT be still operating without a store, getting shipments in. He also might be starting a website.

Great guy, he lent me a battery powered bubbler to make sure my fish got home ok.

Any idea what discus I have? I'm pretty much 100% sure about the Melons however not sure about the other types.

I personally love the dark bars as well, Although its a sign of stress? no?

Back
Top Bottom