Finally upgrading to 108gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nelix10

Aquarium Advice Freak
After a year with my home made 40 gal bow front I am upgrading to a larger tank!
Had to support the floor:(

What is a good ratio for tank to sump size? Can a sump be to big?

Sump will be in the basement , what is the recommended flow in a tank this size!
It will definitely be a mixed reef!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414555491.921054.jpg
Well pilled in most of the dry rock I got used! Going to begin the cycle without the sump to start!
Will move a lot of this rock to the sump once I have run lines to the basement!

Nope, a sump cannot be too big. People shoot for half the display volume in their sump, but its not necessary. Just keep in mind, the bigger the better.

10x the sump volume per hour is also a good amount of flow to shoot for, but not always possible when you have a huge sump.

Are water changes during the cycle nessasary?

Def no fish! These are dry rock, how long should I wait before adding a shrimp or just ammonia?

Just use ammonia if you have it. You can add it as soon as the rock is in the salt water.

I cannot find ammonia anywhere! Got. Couple shrimp from work! , how long till I see ammonia increase?

Yeah, they will work. Probably a few days before you see a noticeable rise. Stick them in panty hose to make for an easier removal

Used a clean sock! Lol

Reefscapes is driving me crazy! Has anyone used large plate rock for their scape?

Finally completely plumbed! Linked with my existing 40 tonight! Will leave things linked till the weekend, to give me time to sort out my lights! Then finally time to move everything over:)

Well corals are not happy with the new water, hopefully a water change in the am will help.

Well linking my tanks went very bad :( saddens me to say I made a big mistake not doing a good enough job of w/c before linking them! Lost all my snails, all my brittle starfish and most of my corals! Worst day ever.

So did a 85% WC on the new tank and moved things over shortly after that!

New AL lights installed and everything's seams happy! This is my new scape!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419805141.083942.jpg

Sorry about the losses. We all learn some lessons the hard way. Just do your best with the new tank and you'll do well. :)

What do you think of the scape?

Back
Top Bottom