Finnex ray2 vs. fugeray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oohitsae

Aquarium Advice Addict
Which is better? Looking at both of them for my 28 bowfront and don't notice too much difference other than the fugeray comes with moonlights? Maybe less LED's as well, not 100% sure...

What other options do I have in that same price range that are available on amazon.com?
I don't WANT to spend over 100 for the light but will go up to around $150 if it comes highly recommended.

The fugeray is only capable of growing low low light plants. the ray 2 will open up lots of new plants to grow you cant grow with the fugeray, especially on a 28 gallon. The link in my sig about LEDs has some PAR data for both the fugeray and the ray 2, looking at it the fugeray will give you less than 20 PAR for your tank, considering the dimensions which is very low light. The ray 2 will give you around 30 PAR, but you can also get the "double brights" on it I have heard which gets higher PAR. I would go with the ray 2...but if you want to only grow the low light plants and not totally planted the fugeray could be an option.

so what light range will the ray2 put me into? just the regular ray2 without the double brights (can't find it on amazon)... I'm assuming moderate, but high would be my preferance.

Oh, also while I am thinking about it... Will co2 be necessary or useful at all with the ray2 lights on that tank? I've been thinking about using it for a while but figured it was a waste with the current lighting system.
What to do...what to do...

The Ray 2 will get you moderate light on a 28g bow front. I would recommend co2 injection or liquid carbon supplementation such as Excel (or Glut).

Thanks! I currently use the API liquid carbon on all of my other tanks, so I'll use that till I can find a good co2 set-up.

Do you/anyone have any recommendations on CO2? I've been looking a bit at different websites and it's hard to figure out what to do!

I use Aquatek. However their prices just went up.. For the quality, i don't think it justifies the increase in price. For not much more, I'd personally get a setup from GLA. But i know a lot of hobbyist here use milwaukee regulators too.

Co2 definitely makes the world if difference IMO. You can even do a DIY co2 (yeast/sugar) rig for now if you're on a budget. If you do DIY, you can supplement with Excel, API co2 booster, or Glut - which i think would still be better than using liquid carbon on its own.

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to answer all my silly questions!!!

Hmm, I really don't know much about co2 but DIY co2 seems somewhat complicated. My original plan was to buy a paintball canister, a friend of my boyfriend's owns a paintball course so I could get the actual tank and refills for that at a good price, but I am clueless on what I need other than the tank honestly. I've been looking online a bit and have seen regulators that will attach to a paintball tank but don't know what else I would need for it... Maybe I should just start another thread about it?

There's no silly questions here! Ask away... we all been there!

I have two Aquatek mini regulators for paintball. But unfortunately, Aquatek has been having supply issues lately and they're all sold out for the moment. They were an economical option and pretty good quality for the value, when they were about $85~90 shipped. When they were selling out, it went up to like $125+. I have no idea when they'll be restocked. You can always message them if you're interested.

I know for sure though that GLA makes quality equipment. However, their prices are higher but IMO the quality is there to justify that cost. Here's a good one...
Paintball CO2 Regulator | Green Leaf Aquariums

What's your budget anyways for co2 equipment?

Paintball is a good option, especially if you can get tanks and refills for cheap! The local paintball/airsoft store here offered 5 free refills if I bought the co2 cylinder from them. At $5 a refill, I basically got free tanks!

Basically, you need:

1. Regulator w/ solenoid valve (solenoid valve is what allows you to put the co2 on a timer).
  2. Bubble counter (to dial in the bubbles per second = BPS)
  3. CO2 resistant tubing
  4. Check valve (this prevents water from siphoning out of the aquarium. Some bubble counters have this integrated).
  5. Diffuser (a ceramic diffuser would work just fine).
  6. Drop Checker w/ indicator solution (this is to give you a visual indication on whether or not you have too little, too much, or just enough co2 saturation in the water).
  7. Timer (I use a cheap analog timer)
  8. CO2 tanks (since you'll be getting paintball, I recommend two tanks so when one runs out, you have another on-hand)

Here's a basic setup diagram I found on the net... The PH controller is nice to have but its an unnecessary expense IMO that a cheap timer can do. This is all you really need. It's a lot easier than it sounds.

img_2440985_0_b26e64a5bbc0636581fcd86305c43d86.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions. :)

Edit:
I just visited the Aquatek website and they said the paintball regulator will be restocked next month. However, I don't know if they'll bring the price back down under $100. On their site, it's indicated to MSRP for $140.
http://aquatek-california.com/co2-regulator-solenoid/

Last edited:
Thanks for the in depth reply.
Do you think I could find any regulators within the 50-75 dollar range? I know it's probably not a great idea to skimp but I've got other upgrades I want to do on other tanks and my total budget for everything was going to be $500. $400 left after buying the ray2

Well it's all a matter of preference I suppose. There are some on here who are totally fine with a DIY paintball co2 regulator to save money, and those that rather spend a little more to get something designed specifically for aquariums. I'm one that would rather play it safe and go with the latter -- I guess I'm chicken like that! LOL... The former, you'll be sacrificing a second stage pressure reducer that takes like 2000 PSI coming out of the paintball tank and brings it down to a manageable output pressure of like 30 - 60 PSI. Not to mention a solenoid valve which can shut off the co2 at night so you're not wasting it... I'm far from being an expert on the subject... my exact PSI numbers could be off... but that's like the general gist of it.

You might want to start a new thread after doing some research on the topic. I've never gone the DIY regulator route. Like I said, I have 2 Aquatek regulators for paintball and I'm happy with them. My next purchase might be the GLA atomic v.2 for the reputation it gets.

Another option is to search the classifieds in the forums and see if anyone is selling a paintball regulator.

But if you want to give DIY regulators a shot... Here's some info on DIY co2 regulators for paintball... I don't want to scare you or anything, but proceed at your own risk after carefully weighing the options.

Paintball Co2 Injection DIY Setup with Tons of Photos

Paintball CO2 regulator setup - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom