Fins growing back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
One of my serpae tetras has only a stub left for a side fin just back from the gills. Wondering if this will grow back?

I'm not sure what caused it. I'm suspicious on the angelfish but can't prove anything.

If there is any left and the infection has gone as in the fish is completely healthy then it should grow back fully as fins can be torn right to the base of the body and mend completely. I've seen torn up fins grow back very quickly but the main thing I noticed for fins to grow back is the water must be pristine otherwise they can remain all hagged for ages. With my discus I started changing water more frequently and added a bit of salt in the water also and my fish's fins became clear and lovely again.

also you probably already know but if there is any ammonia or nitrite in the water you won't get much growth of fins. And they will look cloudy and torn and not change.

Thanks for the reply. Fingers crossed! I've never seen one this bad, it's like for us the complete arm is missing and just the shoulder left. Still eats and gets around so hopefully bounces back. My feeding routine had slipped due to work but could be just coincidence.

I have seen badly damaged fins regenerate.
Depending on the amount of damage a deformed fin is not out of the question.
Got a ram and discus with funny fins that are going strong today myself!

Just be careful if there are any ulcers, torn areas where the skin is thin or open then bacteria or virus's can enter into the bloodstream then you'll end up with a secondary internal infection on your hands and not just torn fins. Virus's are incurable also and need to run their course. But are only contagious through open wounds.

to prevent bacterial infections to take hold you can use salt or melafix. Salt is probably a more gentle approach. 1 tablespoon per 5 US gallons for a week. But I'd do a water change twice a week in your cycled tank to keep the water good as salt can cause plants to decay a bit making the water a bit cloudy which also isn't good for keeping the water pristine. I don't think melafix is particularly good for water quality either from personal experience. Therefore none of these ways will help unless you keep up the water changes. It's the joys of having a freshwater tank. Go marine and water changes are much less. I may do that myself lol.

Thanks all, will keep you posted. It looks like it has sealed off on the wound area but the more I think on it, I'll try catching him next pwc and into a separate tank for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom