Firemouth food/care???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankMan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello fish lovers!!!!!

I purchased two firemouths the other day, and I am IN ABSOLUTE LOVE. They are the only two fish in the tank, and I'm unsure about the sex's unfortunately. Anyways....

What are some good non-expensive foods I could feed them to boost their colors and health? Are there any fun veggies for them too? Tank mates? The tank is a 76 gallon. (Yea I know, strange tank size). Thanks!!!!

They will eat anything, when I feed mine commercial foods, I get blood worms, frozen beef heart, and hikari cichlid pellets. I don't like any of the Tetra brand foods.

For tank mates, you can go with giant danios, loaches (the larger species) pictus cats, synodontis cats, etc.

I have two tanks of firemouths. One tank has giant gold danios, gold dojo loaches, 2 bristlenose plecos, and 3 pictus cats.

The other is a larger tank, 2 jack dempseys, 2 syno cats, 10 clown loaches (yes 10), 2 pictus cats, giant dojos.

They will eat anything, when I feed mine commercial foods, I get blood worms, frozen beef heart, and hikari cichlid pellets. I don't like any of the Tetra brand foods.

For tank mates, you can go with giant danios, loaches (the larger species) pictus cats, synodontis cats, etc.

I have two tanks of firemouths. One tank has giant gold danios, gold dojo loaches, 2 bristlenose plecos, and 3 pictus cats.

The other is a larger tank, 2 jack dempseys, 2 syno cats, 10 clown loaches (yes 10), 2 pictus cats, giant dojos.

Hmm. Are they overly aggressive? I've heard they can be shy at times too

They have their moments of aggression, mainly when spawning but there can be territory spats. I wouldn't call them shy, more like reserved until they get used to things.

They are very easy to care for. Give them caves, give them plants, clean water and good food, you'll enjoy them.

Mine is a pussycat. In with Harlequins, Emporers and corys amongst others. Only time it's been agressive is occasionally with other similar sized and shaped cichlids newly introduced, until boundaries are worked out. A breeding pair might be a nightmare though.

Back
Top Bottom