Firemouth tankmates; still a juvenile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swifty

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had my tank running for about 4 months now, with a convict/firemouth and 6 black skirt tetras along with a BNP that hides during the day. Everything has been smooth, however, lately my convict has started getting into the habit of uprooting my plants. I also noticed the other day she is starting to get a bit more aggressive with the firemouth. I was hoping that having them both as juveniles would increase my chances of them getting along but I'm not sure that will work out.

So for now I'm planning on taking the convict to my LFS, and replacing it with either another school of tetras, or another tankmate compatible with the firemouth.

I was running through some random scenarios on aqadvisor and most seemed to check out ok, but they don't take aggressiveness/territoriality/personality into account.

I do 50% w/c weekly, and have 2 AC50s running on my 20g long, so they have some decent space and quality water.

Any firemouth owners want to add anything?

Hate to say it, but IMO 20g is a bit on the small side for a Firemouth - personally I wouldn't do one in anything less than a 30g. 20g is more suited for Dwarf Cichlids.

Hate to say it, but IMO 20g is a bit on the small side for a Firemouth - personally I wouldn't do one in anything less than a 30g. 20g is more suited for Dwarf Cichlids.

I agree 20 gallon is way to small and that is why you are running into aggression issues. I would ditch the convict upgrade to a 40 breeder or 55 gallon and add a couple more fire mouths.

The house I'm living at was built in the 20s or 30s, and a few years ago when I asked the biggest tank size I could keep the owner told me a 20g was it. If I had the capacity I'd no doubt upgrade, but as it is right now I'm trying to work with what I got.

I do intend to ditch the convict as the LFS I bought him from said they'd be willing to take it, but I'm trying to find some compatible tankmates for the firemouth. The black skirts don't really do much activity/personality wise, and I found some owners of columbian tetras that said they are an active and tightly schooling tetra that gets around the same size as black skirts.

Would a firemouth live with a school of columbians? As it is now he acts like the skirts dont even exist. They even out-compete him at feeding time.

I find it interesting that they said the 20 gallon was the limit, did they give a reason? Houses built in the 1920-30s are very strong and sturdy compared to todays buliding standards. The static load of a 40 gallon tank is only roughly 356 lbs which from structural stand point inst that much. I live in a 2nd story apartment and have over 150 gallons worth of tanks in the 8x8 dining room nook with no issues.

If you have to stick with a 20 gallon I would ditch your current stock and go with a dwarf cichlid of some type. Personally I would recommend one of the locational variants if Pelvicachromis taeniatus from west Africa, they are super colorful and great parents.

Pelvicachromis taeniatus "Moliwe"

img_2419976_0_b4d2b4d176902be46e5b94aad0f0c2b2.jpg

I find it interesting that they said the 20 gallon was the limit, did they give a reason? Houses built in the 1920-30s are very strong and sturdy compared to todays buliding standards. The static load of a 40 gallon tank is only roughly 356 lbs which from structural stand point inst that much. I live in a 2nd story apartment and have over 150 gallons worth of tanks in the 8x8 dining room nook with no issues.

If you have to stick with a 20 gallon I would ditch your current stock and go with a dwarf cichlid of some type. Personally I would recommend one of the locational variants if Pelvicachromis taeniatus from west Africa, they are super colorful and great parents.

Pelvicachromis taeniatus "Moliwe"

img_2422098_0_b4d2b4d176902be46e5b94aad0f0c2b2.jpg

I agree, the 20G limit seems fairly random and a fairly low weight load. Is there also a rule that you can't have a couple guys stand in the same part of the room?

I second the advice not shy away from a firemouth and wouldn't personally do one in less than 3ft tank. As for schooling fish, you just never know. My firemouths killed neon tetras immediately, but left BA tetras alone.

I have a pair of p. taeniatus "Nigerian red" and mine are quite feisty, but nice colors. Would have to agree with that advice

I agree, the 20G limit seems fairly random and a fairly low weight load. Is there also a rule that you can't have a couple guys stand in the same part of the room?

I second the advice not shy away from a firemouth and wouldn't personally do one in less than 3ft tank. As for schooling fish, you just never know. My firemouths killed neon tetras immediately, but left BA tetras alone.

Well he also doesn't want us to keep any dogs or cats, so it's probably for different reasons.

Back
Top Bottom