First Discus tank, a few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm in the planning/research stages since this is my first discus tank and I had a few questions...

1) What substrate would be best if I'm going to plant the tank? Eco-complete or just simple/cheap sand and root tabs?
2) What type of lighting would be a good balance between discus and plants? Where the discus would be happy yet the plants had enough light to grow?
3) I read somewhere
(can't remember where of course) that a UV sterilizer is a good idea for a Discus tank. What's everyone's opinion/experience with this? I've never used them before but I was looking into a "Reaction 4-Stage Canister Filters w/ UV" filter for the tank.
Any advice would be helpful!

Substrate depends on what level of plants you are aiming for. CO2 tank, HO lights, lots of ferts, etc. would need a better substrate than moderate light, maybe a liquid carbon source, and basic ferts. You need to get a balance, not just lots of.

You will probably need a HO T5 fixture for plants, depending on the level of plants you want and the size of the tank. If you do this get a two bulb HO T5 fixture with individual curved reflectors. For bulbs I would do something like a 6500K and a 10,000K bulb.

Discus can be particularly susceptible to many pathogens so a good UV will help keep this in check. I would get one if you can afford it, it could save your stock.

Discus do need really clean water to thrive. I'm not a fan of the UV filters. I'm not saying they don't work, but I think there a huge unnecessary expense.

Back
Top Bottom