first live plants. any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lscotty

Aquarium Advice Regular
83799-albums13152-picture67061.jpg

83799-albums13152-picture67060.jpg

This is my first attempt with live plants. The 1st pic shows the only live plants around the statue. There are supposed to be cryptocoryne wendtii. They look like they are in rough shape right now. They looked better 3 days ago when I first got them. I've read that they tend to "melt" when transplanted but recover so thats what I'm hoping is going on. I know the only plants I can do are low light plants with the lighting I have and I'd prefer not to add co2 unless I have to. My light is a current usa satellite freshwater LED+. Par level is listed at 12"=36 18"=28 24"=21. Im at 30" from light to substrate so I'm guessing as safe par estimate around 10.

I've read that with sand only substrate they wont grow as well and will need fertilizer tabs. What would you reccomend for those? Or would liquid ferts be ok?

Are the rocks I put around the plants to try and keep fish from pulling them up going to hurt anything?

how do you know when you need to a co2? I'd prefer to avoid it but also would like to add more plants if I can keep these alive and couldn't find any specific advice on knowing when its needed.

Any other tips or advice? What I should or shouldn't do. What other plants might work?

My current setup.
150 gallon freshwater.
Cascade 1500 canister filter.
2 Fluval 306 canister filter
2 koralia nano 425s
Pool sand substrate.
4 clown loaches
4 peppered corys
5 kuhli loaches
5 bala sharks
1 highfin spotted pleco

I know I'm over stocked on fish. Its also over filtered and I keep up on regular water changes and water parameters have always been perfect. I am watching for a used larger tank to move everything to but if I don't find one in a few months I'll probably get a second similar sized tank.

sorry for the long post but wanted to try and include anything that may be asked. Thanks for any help or criticism you provide. Anything helps.

You'll need root tabs for the crypts definitely. I use seachem tabs it's all I can get really in Australia but my crypts grow fine. I suggest Anubias and swords and java moss these guys will do fine in your tank with lighting. Research about them before you add though. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

::) pWith that light you have a low light tank. You don't need co2 (though excel or metricide 14 wouldn't hurt) you don't need to add ferts to the water colum. Though you should prob give root tabs to the crypts and any other root feeders you get.

Look into osmocote + diy root tabs. I believe some people sell them on here. The seachem root tabs aren't really that good ime.

You don't NEED co2 until you get to higher par levels. At which point you also need ferts.

Other possible plants I can think of, water wisteria, java fern, amazon swords, water sprite... Look up low light plants

Keeping Live Plants

Hello Is...

Briefly: Aquarium plants need time to get used to their new place. Research the plants you have and make sure you've planted them correctly and have the right amount of light. The dark green plants, just need low light. Sand may not work well for plants. The water can't move through the roots to provide nutrients. You don't need high end bottom material. Standard pea-sized gravel is fine.

If you have enough fish in the tank and feed a varied diet, you really don't need commercial fertilizers. The fish will provide all the plants need. Change out a lot tank water and do it regularly. This is good for the plants.

B

Thanks for the replies. I'll research the fert tabs and the plants mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom