First plant!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my gf has a 10 gallon FW tank with and African clawed frog and a clown pleco in it. My expertise is in my 35 gallon reef tank. I picked up an anubias Nana for it today. I attached it to a piece of Malaysian driftwood because the tank is bare bottom so the frog wont eat any substrate. I also picked up 2 zebra looking snails that the lady at the LFS said they were perfect for tanks with plant. Not sure what kind they are but they are pretty. Any info on care about this plant is much appreciated. I plan on trading in the clown pleco for an oto catfish because he's a lousy algae eater and he may eat the plant. Sound like a good idea? Here's a pic.

ForumRunner_20120902_192538.jpg

You can't do a single oto. They are pretty sensitive fish and stress rather easy so a shoal is best for them. I'd do at least 4-5. I THINK ,though am not 100%, that they are ok in your 10.

The anubias is fine attached to the drift wood and should do well. It's a really easy plant. It may or may not need some liquid ferts, probably just trace. I think it sort of depends on your lighting, generally the more light a plant uses and grows the more nutrients it will need so a liquid with trace elements may be needed.

I do not know a lot about snails but I think you may have this

Zebra Nerite Snail .:. Neritina natalensis sp. "Zebra" .:. Freshwater Aquarium Snail Information Page

I do believe you can keep substrate with your frog. Typically I believe you just want a gravel that is small enough that it would pass if they ate it(smaller than a pea) OR something large like river stones. Sand is an option as well. Keeping a bare bottom does make it easier to clean though.

Yea that first pic looks just like those snails. I have a few nerites in my SW tank. They are my oldest ones! I didn't know that about the oto the lady at the LFS said it would be perfect for me. Maybe get 2 instead of one??

Back
Top Bottom